need help for new mp3 player
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

danielghofrani

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, 
I have been happy with my audio gear and have not come here in a long time. As a result, I am no longer in the know about which portable audio players are good. 
last week my trusy sansa clip + died after 3 years and now I am looking for another audio player but I don't know which one to get. 
Another Sansa clip + is an option but I thought maybe there are better products out there now. 

I ONLY use portable player at the gym. 
some information that might be useful:
native FLAC support would be great. most of my music is FLAC. 
I listen with Shure SE535 or Westone 4. 
battery life and audio quality are the most important qualifications.

Thanks
Dan

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 10
Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip and install the Rockbox firmware
http://www.rockbox.org/

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Using Shure SE535 at the gym is imo a bad idea. Of course if you are extremely wealthy, then possibly trashing a $500 earphone doesn't really matter. 
Most of us more average people though probably wouldn't even buy a $500 earphone, or if we did buy one after great consideration, we surely wouldn't
use it in a gym,while running, or doing other exercises.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 10
I dont think the OP asked about using his iem @ the gym, he asked about a dap for the gym. Some of us like using our nuce equipment whenever possible.

Anyway, I use my X3 at the gym, very versatile, plenty of power, and rugged. You can get them at a reasonable rate too now. I also ordered an X1 today, which Im hoping will sound good. Both play flac.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 10
My suggestion for a player is a Rockboxed Clip+ or Clip Zip.

I also wonder about the safety of using something that isolates well in a gym.

Many gyms are starting to be more reasonable, and don't have music playing loudly.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 10
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but am also looking for a good quality DAP solution for the gym and on the go. So I figured I would ask here as well as opposed to a new thread.

I'd want something that could he worn with an arm band or inside a pocket without adding a ton of bulk.

Would something along the ibasso, an x5 or one of the red wine ipods do well for driving a good set of iem and occasionally a set of full size cans?

I enjoy a warm bassy sound, especially the bass while working out.

Sorry again if asking here was in poor taste, felt we're after the same thing and didn't need a new post asking such. I'll delete if it is intruding however. :beers:

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but am also looking for a good quality DAP solution for the gym and on the go. So I figured I would ask here as well as opposed to a new thread.
I'd want something that could he worn with an arm band or inside a pocket without adding a ton of bulk.
Would something along the ibasso, an x5 or one of the red wine iPods do well for driving a good set of iem and occasionally a set of full size cans?
I enjoy a warm bassy sound, especially the bass while working out.
Sorry again if asking here was in poor taste, felt we're after the same thing and didn't need a new post asking such. I'll delete if it is intruding however. :beers:
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

The Sony E series DAP it very slim and light weight and I like it's sound.
You can get an arm band for it.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 10
The cheaper Sony players max out at 16GB. There is a new Sony model with a card slot, however it is expensive.

If you want something tiny, then get a Clip+ or Clip Zip and Rockbox it. 

A Clip+ or Clip Zip can power many full sized headphones, but not the less efficient ones.

With Rockbox, its equilizer works very well. The one thing I don't like about the Clip+ or Clip Zip is the limited battery life.

The new Sandisk Clip Sport has longer battery life, however there is no Rockbox for it, and it keeps card memory in
a separate database from main memory. It is also limited to 2,000 songs for card memory, and 2,000 for internal memory.
The Clip Sport has a larger screen than the Clip Zip, and is slightly larger. It uses a different processor than the Clip+ or Clip Zip,
which is said to be less powerful, so there may never be Rockbox for it.

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Thank you for the replies, 

Using Shure SE535 at the gym is imo a bad idea. Of course if you are extremely wealthy, then possibly trashing a $500 earphone doesn't really matter. 
Most of us more average people though probably wouldn't even buy a $500 earphone, or if we did buy one after great consideration, we surely wouldn't
use it in a gym,while running, or doing other exercises.

Don't worry I have been using this pair of iems for this purpose for at least a year (had the 535 for 3 years total)

I also wonder about the safety of using something that isolates well in a gym.

Thank you for your concern but I only use the iems when I am doing stationary equipments for cardio.

I would not object to getting another clip+ but I bought mine on boxing day sale for $30 and I can't justify paying more than $50 today after 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back