Need help for new HI-FI audio - So many options
May 6, 2020 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Seskoi

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

Hope you're well!
Alright so, I'm quite confused now. It seems like there is so much different options between portable headphones dac+amp setups, streaming (tidal) equipments, computers, home cinema, etc.
I currently have a PC pluggued to my old home cinema receiver with S/PDIF. Nice Yamahah stereo speakers, living in an appartment not-so-isolated so I have a... 4.0 system (surround, no center speaker because I didn't find it useful and no subwoofer to irritate neighbours, but 2 rear speakers I recovered to enjoy Dolby / DTS movies). I just received my first Ora Graphene headphones and have a few other great headphones.
I'm disappointed because I mostly enjoy these bluetooth / wired headphones on bluetooth for functionnality. I have an old Fiio X5 I can use as an external sound card and Fiio headphone amp, which I don't really use because I rarely listen to musis alone in one place.

So enough of this intro, that's when I'm asking for your advice. There's so many different possibilities, I'm lost. Also, new possibilities doesn't mean better. I enjoyed when I could use my Fiio portable player with portable headphone amp, loaded with HQ audio files... But the easiness of using Spotify (or Tidal) sold me to streaming. Damn I could not go back to creating folders and loading songs individually to a device.
But on another hand, easiness seems to take away quality. My headphones, when used wirelessly, sound far from what I had.

So I think my question is the following: what's currently nice for enjoying high quality audio, either nomad or sedentary? Alone or with friends? I suppose (wish?) there's a way to combine both now? I find it hard to pay large amounts of money for a quality DAC / AMP only for nomad or sedentary use.
Is there any computer external DAC capable of 5.1 systems (DTS/Dolby) AND great headphones at the same time? Are you guys thinking about some other nice setting?
I saw some "DAC / AMP" usb C dongles like the Hidiz Sonata HD or Firefly, are they really interesting to improve sound on a phone?

Thanks for your help guys, I know my question(s) can be pretty large, but it seems like we are in many crossing roads and it can get confusing!

Cheers !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back