Need Help for choosing two awesome headphones
Nov 29, 2012 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

SoulShocked123

New Head-Fier
Hi, i am stuck at a a stalemate between the ATH-M50's and the Shure SRH750 DJ i read tons of reviews on both of them and just cant seem to reach a decision. I am not a bass head i want clarity over bass basically i would like headphones that are not muddy i understand that under 200$ is a small budget so i would like to know from experts and audiophiles which of the two i should get and an amp is also an option thx alot.

PS:I heard that the Shure's need an amp to help drive the headphones (this was the losing point for shure)
but i also saw that the ATH-M50 dont have a detachable cord (a losing point for the ATH-M50)

I am kind of an audiophile(by kind off i mean i get cranky when i get muddy headphones,or bass heavy(BEATS) cans) cause i would spend 300$ on audio equipment but headphones for on the go i prefer to spend under 200$

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 14
I haven't heard the Shure headphones, but I would *not* suggest the M50 based on your wants (I found them boomy and sibilant, with no soundstage - the hardwired cable (given its length) was also a turnoff for me too).

Next question is: what are you plugging these into, and where are you using them?

Some preliminary models I would suggest (I will narrow this down if you answer the above question):

Koss Ruk50p (these are fairly bassy but the bass doesn't dominate everything else)
Koss TBSE (also sold as DJ100 and DJ200 (differences: DJ200 has ControlTalk, TBSE is the special edition, DJ100 is base))
Koss R/80
Ultrasone HFI-2400
Grado SR-225i (or SR-60, or 80, etc depending on budget)
Creative Aurvana Live!
Bose AE2 (with or without the ControlTalk option)

Given that you seem to want (and correct me if I'm wrong here) a bass neutral or bass light pair of cans, I'd probably lean towards the TBSE, R/80, and SR-225i over anything else. The Ruk50 and HFI-2400 are relatively bassy, the AE2 and CAL! are a touch bassier than neutral and extend very well, but if you want a more "n-shaped" or "light" sound they probably will be too rich.

The AE2, HFI-2400, and TBSE have removable cables.

None of these overtly require an amp unless whatever you're driving them from is line only. But from an mp3 player or decent soundcard all of them will be fine. The HFI-2400 will probably be the toughest to drive, and that isn't really saying much.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 14
Agreed on the M50 also mainly because of an overly long heavy cord for portablility. KNS8400 has a detachable cord and absolutely destroy the M50 in every way IMO. The K551 is a portable full sized phone you could look at as well, cable is fixed though. Have owned or tried all of the above.

The M100 is a full sized portable with detachable cord to look into as well as the on ear M80. Neither have bloated beats style bass by any stretch. Have tried the M80 and liked them. The M100 I haven't heard but you can find the dedicated thread on them on head fi.

edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/570501/the-krk-kns-8400-you-can-have-it-all/15#post_7748039

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
KNS8400 has a detachable cord and absolutely destroy the M50 in every way IMO. 

+1. Fantastastic headphones. Wish the cord was shorter and more flexible though.

I would also suggest the Shure SRH 840. They have a detachable cable, although the stock one is a rather heavy coil cable.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Thx alot for the other suggestions :D, I really like the KOSS PRODJ200 they look amazing and have a detachable cord :D btw to respond your question i use my phone HTC Sensation XE (with beats audio) i know its ironic that i have a beats phone but it looked good at the time the IEM included were excuse my language total utter ********. so i need your help once again KOSS PRODJ200 orKRK KNS8400 thx alot :D

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 14
Thx alot for the other suggestions :D, I really like the KOSS PRODJ200 they look amazing and have a detachable cord :D btw to respond your question i use my phone HTC Sensation XE (with beats audio) i know its ironic that i have a beats phone but it looked good at the time the IEM included were excuse my language total utter ********. so i need your help once again KOSS PRODJ200 orKRK KNS8400 thx alot :D

I don't know the KRK, but I would suggest the Koss no questions asked. Lifetime warranty, removable cable, hardcase, etc - seems like a "win" to me. :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Alright, so these Koss do they need an amp to help drive them or will my phone be able to do that? also seems like i will have 100$ leftover (found the Koss for 100$) i would like to buy an portable amp for these Koss headphones could you help me once again thx :D

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 14
Alright, so these Koss do they need an amp to help drive them or will my phone be able to do that? also seems like i will have 100$ leftover (found the Koss for 100$) i would like to buy an portable amp for these Koss headphones could you help me once again thx :D

No, they're very sensitive and low impedance with a stable tendency- they'll drive fine from most anything. No need to spend more money.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 14
I got a new problem now :frowning2:
They are selling the Koss for 179euros (insane) and its out of my budget (120euros)
i found two other contenders though.
The AIAIAI TMA-1 DJ
and the Numark Electrowave
My audiophile friend told me Numark makes exceptional audio gear so should i go for the electrowave?

i found them both for under 110euros 

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
I got a new problem now :frowning2:
They are selling the Koss for 179euros (insane) and its out of my budget (120euros)
i found two other contenders though.
The AIAIAI TMA-1 DJ
and the Numark Electrowave
My audiophile friend told me Numark makes exceptional audio gear so should i go for the electrowave?

i found them both for under 110euros 

The Koss Pro Dj100 and the TBSE are pretty similar to the DJ200.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Yeah i heard that they are actually the same drivers etc only difference is the DJ100 non detachable cable and the TBSE is exactly the same as the DJ200 (difference being the DJ200 has controltalk) is this really true?

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #13 of 14
Also, for on the go closed headphones at this price range, none of them are good.
Go for the In ear Monitors, more portable.
The only two good closed-back portable headphones to consider are the ultrasone edition 8 and Beyerdynamic T5P.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi guys here to update :D
I choose The CAL! (Creative Auravana live) because a local shop here in in italy was having a christmas bundle.
The CAL! and a FiiO E11 all for 80euros around 100usd
i picked these up.
Do you think i made a good choice or is there a better option? i can still return these as i have not opened them 
Thx once again people of HEAD FI ! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back