Need help for a beginner
May 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

irishman4000

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I have been debating for a very long time on what pair of headphones I should buy. I listen to rock, rap, and hip hop. I would like and overall good sounding headphone but i do like bass.
Price:
My price range is $200 to $300 dollars unless recommended heavily i could spend $350.

I have looked at:
the vmoda m100 but I am not sure if they would be comfortable. Of course i have heard about the ATH-M50 but i would like a portable headphone. I am looking for over ear and closed but i have not experienced open. The Sennheiser HD 25 II looked like what i wanted but i heard it has a very harsh treble. Using this information about me please help. Honestly the Sennheiser Momentum looks nice, but I don't know if the bass is what i want. 

I currently own the Bose AE2 and strongly dislike them. The sound is too neutral and not colorful. I not only would prefer more bass but mids and highs.  THANKS!!!!
square_stage_Momentum_02_sq_sennheiser.jpg
m-100_shadow_flying_square_web.jpg

May 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 20
Here's my humble opinions:

I don't think that the HD 25-1 II has harsh treble, but it is certainly brighter than most Sennheisers. That's why I own a pair; I prefer my headphones to be a little brighter sounding.

I think that the HD 25-1 II are great for the genres you listed; personally, I think they have plenty of bass. Are they REALLY bassy? No. But when push comes to shove, they do just fine once you get them positioned correctly on your ears.

If you are looking for something for use in quiet areas that is portable, the HD 25-1 II are fantastic. They're easy to drive and are great rock/pop/hip-hop headphones. They're my main portables right now.

You may also want to look at the Beyerdynamic DT 1350, which Jude did a video review comparing the DT 1350 vs. the HD 25-1 II.

Sadly, I haven't heard the two pair that you picture, but I'm sure there are plenty of reviews on the pairs.

Good luck!

-Nylan

May 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 20
I've owned Bose OE2, Sennheiser Momentum, and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and returned them all because of lack of comfort.

I couldn't use any for more than 1 hour initially.  Then after that hour, if you take a break, it only takes another 15 minutes to feel the pressure points again.  No more on-ears for me.

May 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 20
The V-Moda M100 is a fantastic headphone and is actually very comfortable despite it's small and portable size. I would prefer that to the Sennheiser HD25 and the M50, for sure. Don't know about the Momentum. 

Jun 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 20
Is the vmoda m100 an over ear or on ear pair of headphones? Also, how does the m100 compare to the cheaper m80? i have also heard that the m100 has a nice bass response but the highs are nothing special, is this true? I am not what you would consider and audiophile. I like nice sound, but i also take looks into mind, and the m100s look great! 

Jun 20, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #7 of 20
I personally think that the audio technica ESW9 would be something worth looking into. Although D1350 is also something good to look into, i believe that they are a bit pricy in terms of the range your looking for. The only con is that the esw9 may not be the most comfortable headphones (some people think they're fine while some think they're not comfortable) Sound wise however i think they may be close to what you may be looking for considering you are looking for a portable

Jun 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 20
The new kef m500 on ear headphones that can fold and are supposed to be really comfortable came out about 2 weeks ago and will arive on my doorstep tommorow! I'd be happy to give some impressions on them, and compare it to some of the other cans I've heard (Sony mdr 1r, ath ws99, some more)

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 20
Hey everyone i have done a lot of research and i am most likely going to buy vmoda m80. I have heard that is responds better than the v-moda m100 to amplification. I am thinking of buying an amp with the money i have left over any suggestions? Fio E11 but im not sure what i need to buy.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 20
if you want portability yet good sounding and comfortable headphones , look into the UE6000s or UE9000s . UE6000s should cost around 200$ or less.

But if budget is the issue, look into Koss Porta Pros, good amount of bass , good sound and durable.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 20
AKG k551. The only headphones better then these have to be open back which is not ideal for outside use.  Check out the link for a review from a very credible person (very important person here in head-fi).
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone
Or video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ_PPvD9Bk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back