Need help finding right headphones
post-7598635
Post #1 of 4

besherman

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I am looking for headphones to use while watching blu-ray films.

I would like to find surround sound headphones that:

1. Provide the best, most vivid surround experience that can be reasonably expected given the inherent limitations of headphones;

2. Have the ability to adjust the volume for each ear or--better yet--have an equalizer so that each side can be adjusted for specific frequencies ( I have some high frequency hearing loss in one ear and I would like the ability to increase the volume of the higher frequencies in that ear).

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer.

TIA,
Bruce

post-7598661
Post #2 of 4

MalVeauX

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Heya,

Budget?

There are no "surround sound" headphones. There is emulation that essentially tries to make it sound appropriate through a stereo setup. It's not like there's 5 drivers in the headphones. So don't get caught in the gimmick of "surround sound" and "gaming" headsets/headphones.

Basically you just need a good DAC and a good pair of headphones (then whatever amplifier it takes to make your headphones hit the volumes and richness you like). I suggest to you open-air headphones for soundstage, this will help with movies big time when it comes to positioning. The rest, well, depends on your source. What is your bluray player? A PS3? PC? Standalone bluray player?

We need way more info.

Very best,

post-7598663
Post #3 of 4

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
1. "Inherent limitations". That's funny. Speakers have "inherent limitations"

2. That's funny also. There is no headphone I know of that can do that. How about you get a receiver that has a "Balance" knob on it. 

Ok:

Senn HD800
AKG K1000
Any Stax

how about you give me:

Price
What you're connecting them to
If you have an amp or DAC

then you can tell me you want to watch movies.

post-7599038
Post #4 of 4

besherman

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I am selecting my components right now so I have some flexibility. Cost is not a major limitation. I am 99% certain that the Blu-ray player will be one of the new Oppos which will be used with an AVR and a Panasonic 65" plasma, all professionally installed and calibrated. The headphone issue is huge for me because the reality is that most of the time I will be limited to headphones when I watch movies. That's why I want to get the best surround experience that is possible  from headphones. For the reasons I mentioned, individual right/left ear volume (or better equalizers) would be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)