Need help finding Indestructable headphones!
Aug 8, 2011 at 1:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jace

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm currently searching for headphones which are close to being indestructible.
I've had had a couple headphones including Shure 840's and in ear earphones like the Sennheiser CX 680 (adidas version).
Both of them have broken in about 8-12 months of use. In both cases it wasn't the actually headphones/earpiece but the bottom part of the cord which connects to my iPod.
So basically i want headphones or earphones with a extremely strong cord.

So any suggestions will be appreciated very much!

Some more info:

I live in Montreal (Quebec/Canada) so there aren't any good places to shop for headphones (i think) so online buying is possible.

My price range would preferably be around 200$ however don't hesitate to post headphones that are a little more expensive.

I'll be using the headphones outdoors so something that is pretty comfortable is important as well.

Thank you.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 19
Not possible

There are detachable cable headphones, but it's a gimick because if you pull to cord, the locking mech keeps it tight and the entire area of the lock rips out. Like the 840

Not much else that can be improved on, you can go blutooth wireless. But any good wireless can starts at $400~

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 19
The best for durability are the DBI Pro series, which are rebranded German Maestros.  If you want tons of bass and treble, the DBI Pro 700 and Pro 701 are a good choice, if you can find them.

More consistently available online are the German Maestros, the GMP 8.35D and 8.300D.  They are more balanced, but sound excellent.

Sometimes, you find them under their older name, the MB Quart QP series (805HS is one of them).

At any rate, if you just need solid build quality and not necessarily true indestructibility, you should also check out the Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

The other option is to check out some of the headphones with detachable cables.  That way, if the plug does break, you don't have to toss the whole thing.  Of course, the Shure 840 had a detachable cable, so I hope you didn't just toss them in the garbage.

Ultimately, though, the plug end is always going to be at least a bit vulnerable.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 19
What about adapting a cable, such as getting some sheathing and heat shrink and putting that over the existing cable?

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Why not just recable your broken phones? It is REALLY easy, you just need to cut the jack off and replace it with a new one. Neutrik makes good, durable jacks. You cna either try to cut the original cable and attach the new jack to it or replace the entire cable. The latter is a big harder to do since you need to solder the cable onto the drivers, but if you first take some time to practice soldering, it shouldnt be too hard to do. Go for some professional cables, in Europe a good company is Cordial, I am sure there is some equivalent quality pro cable company on your side of the ocean. Just make sure it is a shielded, fairly thick cable, that will give you the most sound quality and durability. Don't waste your money on expensive cables since they don't change the sound quality at all.

Then, all you need is a soldering gun and some patience. You will also get the great feeling of having fixed something yourself.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 19
um ok.. guess i'll try to get a detachable cord headphone. Does anyone know any other headphones with a detachable cord besides the shure 840's? they are kinda bulky and heavy to wear for the whole day.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In both cases it wasn't the actually headphones/earpiece but the bottom part of the cord which connects to my iPod.

When removing the cable from the iPod, are you gripping the cable it self or gripping the jack while removal?  

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
um ok.. guess i'll try to get a detachable cord headphone. Does anyone know any other headphones with a detachable cord besides the shure 840's? they are kinda bulky and heavy to wear for the whole day.

The Pro 750s comes with detachable cord. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
When removing the cable from the iPod, are you gripping the cable it self or gripping the jack while removal?  

always the jack. :]. i think with the shure 840 the reason it broke was because the cord was so long and when i left my ipod in my pocket the cord would sort of hang out because of its own weight.

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:

The Goldring NS1000. They are noise reduction but work without it on as well. I like the sound they make, reminds me of the dynamics of a Grado with good clarity. They are made of tough plastic and are not bulky.

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Hello!

I'm currently searching for headphones which are close to being indestructible.
I've had had a couple headphones including Shure 840's and in ear earphones like the Sennheiser CX 680 (adidas version).
Both of them have broken in about 8-12 months of use. In both cases it wasn't the actually headphones/earpiece but the bottom part of the cord which connects to my iPod.

So any suggestions will be appreciated very much!

Some more info:

I live in Montreal (Quebec/Canada) so there aren't any good places to shop for headphones (i think) so online buying is possible.

My price range would preferably be around 200$ however don't hesitate to post headphones that are a little more expensive.

I'll be using the headphones outdoors so something that is pretty comfortable is important as well.

Thank you.

Salut,

Of all my headphones (see my sig), I think Ultrasones are probably the most solid tank-link headphones I've had in my hands.

So what kind of music do you primarily listen to? I would get an Ultrasone, but what you listen to will determine which one...

(also, check out this thread for info on headphone shops in Montreal)

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
hd-25-1 II's all the way.

Yeah, if you can deal with the clamp force for the first weeks. other tan that they are solid built...i love em! 

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 19
What did you do with the 840's ? Toss them out just due to a broken plug???? You could sell them cheap there's plenty of DIYers around here.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #15 of 19
Exactly, and you could also just replace the cable yourself. Why spend hundreds of dollars on a new pair of headphones when you own a perfectly good one?

Quote:
What did you do with the 840's ? Toss them out just due to a broken plug???? You could sell them cheap there's plenty of DIYers around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back