Need help finding good headphones under 100$ Clarity Matters
Sep 10, 2012 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Hyudryu

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm looking for a good pair of headphones for listening to music at home. I found a Pioneer HDJ500 headphone that looks good, but some people say the quality isn't that good.

What I want is crystal clear mids and highs, and decent amount of bass and under 100$ if possible. It's hard looking at descriptions of products and deciding, because after all, the manufacturer will always make their product description sound good. So I think it's best if you guys can give me suggestions based on personal use/experience. Thank you :)

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 11
I use my AKG K240 Studio for exactly what you described above.  You can find it on Amazon for under $80 every so often. 
smile.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 11
Haven't heard the KRK, but I have heard good things about them.

If you're looking to get a really good deal on a K240, go to Amazon and add one of each K240 listing to your cart.  Once every day or so, refresh your Amazon cart to see what the latest prices are.  Amazon will tell you when prices change.  Once you find one that drops below $80, pull the trigger.  Super easy way to get 20% off.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 11
Srh440.

I also own the KRK if you save a bit and buy them it will be a nice investment. Some people find it too bright at first. 

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 11
I would also recommend the Shure.
Own the 240, heard the 440, and own the 440s big brother. 
In clarity 840 > 440 > 240

The AKGs however have a very natural/organic sound and they're semi-open, really a different world. You hear more detail in the mid range but the clarity doesn't extend evenly across the highs and lows like it does on the Shures.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 11
3 excellent recommendations in under 24 hours... not bad!

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
3 excellent recommendations in under 24 hours... not bad!

Yeah I know. You guys are awsome! I currently have a pair of Koss UR-40 headphones I use for gaming (i found these the same quality of sound as Turtle Beaches) and the clarity is pretty good, although I don't like the fact that it's open. It has no noise isolation whatsoever, and the bass isn't that clear. Im hoping to get the k240 sometime soon, but I'm just curious, how's the bass on the K240? Is it also clear as well?  I remember trying on these super expensive headphones at a store one day, and I can hear the resonance of the bass from the music and everything was just amazing. But it was a long time ago and I forgot what those were.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 11
The K 240 bass is focused in the mid-bass ("punchy") region, and, at least to my ears, falls off sharply and loses clarity in the sub-bass region, which is what you must mean by "resonating". That's it's single greatest downfall. I highly recommend them for music with more mid-bass emphasis (classic rock, jazz, etc.) but not for deep-bass electronica. AKG seems to generally focus on beautiful mid range and treat bass as an afterthought.

Then again I can't say the SR440 is a bass monster either. Perhaps less quantity but clearer quality. May benefit from an EQ.

In the $100-$150 range you start to have numerous options with both strong bass and chimey clarity.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
In the $100-$150 range you start to have numerous options with both strong bass and chimey clarity.

+1

@macho, do you amp your K240?  it's not strictly required, but i've found that my O2 really does bring out the low-end of my K240s.

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah definitely, I actually hated my 240s at first until I matched them with a couple of suitable amps. I still wouldn't say they have much sub-bass, but it cleans things up. These are deceivingly amp-hungry for 55 ohms.

They're also my favorite headphones for electric guitar recording. They're are kind of what I expected my Grados to be. Both have great mids but where the Grados are grainy and harsh the AKGs are clean and warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back