Need help finding a new IEM
Mar 23, 2017 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

eelnwahs

Head-Fier
Hello All,

I am on the search for a new IEM to use at work.

Budget: 200 USD

Toneality: Bright with great mids and sparkly highs without being too harsh. I am not a basshead but a little bit of bass presence is preferred, nothing boomy, just a little impact with detail.

I prefer the soundstage to be spacious with an airy sound along with great imaging.

Excellent isolation is a must because I plan to listen to these are above average listening volume in an open floor plan quiet office.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 20
Hello All,

I am on the search for a new IEM to use at work.

Budget: 200 USD

Toneality: Bright with great mids and sparkly highs without being too harsh. I am not a basshead but a little bit of bass presence is preferred, nothing boomy, just a little impact with detail.

I prefer the soundstage to be spacious with an airy sound along with great imaging.

Excellent isolation is a must because I plan to listen to these are above average listening volume in an open floor plan quiet office.

Hello.

I use the RHA MA-750 for work. It only costs £80 and is superb for the signature you described.

This has beautiful highs and mids, supplemented by a pleasant bass that has significant authority, but never threatens your eardrums. It never overpowers the mids or highs, so you get good clarity for your preferred sound. Coming from more 'consumer' based headphones i.e bassy and muddy across the frequencies, this is a breath of fresh air, especially at this price range.

The separation is good allowing all of the instruments to shine. Isolation is brilliant, my wife sat next to me cannot hear my earphones at all, and I can only very faintly hear particularly noisy things from the outside world.

You could do a lot worse for your budget... I have the version without the mic and I can say it is built like a tank, the wire is thick rubber, and the Jack port is solid knurled metal with a spring protecting the first inch of wire. They look and feel like £400 iem's.

I hope I have been of assistance!

Please feel free to pick my brain.

Richard.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Hello.

I use the RHA MA-750 for work. It only costs £80 and is superb for the signature you described.

This has beautiful highs and mids, supplemented by a pleasant bass that has significant authority, but never threatens your eardrums. It never overpowers the mids or highs, so you get good clarity for your preferred sound. Coming from more 'consumer' based headphones i.e bassy and muddy across the frequencies, this is a breath of fresh air, especially at this price range.

The separation is good allowing all of the instruments to shine. Isolation is brilliant, my wife sat next to me cannot hear my earphones at all, and I can only very faintly hear particularly noisy things from the outside world.

You could do a lot worse for your budget... I have the version without the mic and I can say it is built like a tank, the wire is thick rubber, and the Jack port is solid knurled metal with a spring protecting the first inch of wire. They look and feel like £400 iem's.

I hope I have been of assistance!

Please feel free to pick my brain.

Richard.

I have heard before that the RHA MA750 has quite recessed mids which make it so vocals don't shine. Would you say that you find this true?

Edit: May I ask how you got them at such a good price?

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 20
I have heard before that the RHA MA750 has quite recessed mids which make it so vocals don't shine. Would you say that you find this true?

Edit: May I ask how you got them at such a good price?

I ordered them direct from RHA @ £79.95 (free P&P) and they arrived in 2 days.

I listen mainly to Metal, but in all genre's the vocals are never hidden, the treble takes a slight, albeit un-noticeable front, but the overall presentation is mainly flat. I use these direct from my mobile phone, and have no issues at all without any amplification. I simply cannot praise these enough! They also come with a variety of tips, including 2 pairs of foam tips, and double flange.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 20
I ordered them direct from RHA @ £79.95 (free P&P) and they arrived in 2 days.

I listen mainly to Metal, but in all genre's the vocals are never hidden, the treble takes a slight, albeit un-noticeable front, but the overall presentation is mainly flat. I use these direct from my mobile phone, and have no issues at all without any amplification. I simply cannot praise these enough! They also come with a variety of tips, including 2 pairs of foam tips, and double flange.

Damn, was that on sale? They're selling for 120 USD now

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 20
I would add the DN-1000 and Fidue A73. You might read about those and see what you think. One of them could work for you.

I've actually thought about the DN-1000. My favorite IEM ever is the dn-2000 but I don't have them anymore and I didn't want to spend that kind of money again at the moment. Plus in the 250+ price range they don't have removeable cables which is a bummer in today's market but at this point they came out 4 years ago. I was concerned that the dn-1000 was too harsh in the treble and the mid range is too recessed compared to the 2000

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 20
I just bought the MEE Pinnacle P1, and received them less than a week ago. My criteria matched yours just about perfectly, right down to the budget. I'm very happy I bought them—zero regrets.

I used to have the MA750i, and those were nice. Just a tad more polite than I'd want. Still, solid headphones. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 20
I just bought the MEE Pinnacle P1, and received them less than a week ago. My criteria matched yours just about perfectly, right down to the budget. I'm very happy I bought them—zero regrets.

I used to have the MA750i, and those were nice. Just a tad more polite than I'd want. Still, solid headphones. Probably can't go wrong with either one.

I actually considered the P1 but I was worried about driving them because I will only be using my iPhone 7, I will be using these at work only and I would prefer not to have a bulky setup.

What are you using to drive them?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #10 of 20
They do sound great amped—for the first few days, I was only using them with my Fiio X1/A3 and iPhone 5C/Fiio Q1. But just today I started listening to them straight out of my iPhone SE. They sound at least 95% as good straight from the phone. For the sake of convenience, I'll probably use them primarily with my phone, no amp.

By the way, I purchased the P1 on Amazon from the seller Beach Camera. They're currently offering the Pinnacle P1 with an included Fiio Q1 and premium 3.5mm cable, all for the same $199 you'd pay for the Pinnacles alone.

I'm really happy I pulled the trigger. I overthought it for a few months. :)

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 20
They do sound great amped—for the first few days, I was only using them with my Fiio X1/A3 and iPhone 5C/Fiio Q1. But just today I started listening to them straight out of my iPhone SE. They sound at least 95% as good straight from the phone. For the sake of convenience, I'll probably use them primarily with my phone, no amp.

By the way, I purchased the P1 on Amazon from the seller Beach Camera. They're currently offering the Pinnacle P1 with an included Fiio Q1 and premium 3.5mm cable, all for the same $199 you'd pay for the Pinnacles alone.

I'm really happy I pulled the trigger. I overthought it for a few months. :)

Oh that's good to hear.

I did see the deal from beach camera, it wasn't the fact of paying for an amp, really just not wanting to carry all that bulk. What is the primary differences you notice between amped and unamped?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 20
My lack of audiophile knowledge is going to shine through here.

The best way I can describe it is that with the amp is fuller, and a bit warmer. The iPhone SE unamped is slightly cooler to my ears, just as punchy in the bass, but requires a few notches up on the volume. I always care for my ears, so I don't listen at very high volume, and I find without the amp I still only have to go to about 60% on my iPhone.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 20
My lack of audiophile knowledge is going to shine through here.

The best way I can describe it is that with the amp is fuller, and a bit warmer. The iPhone SE unamped is slightly cooler to my ears, just as punchy in the bass, but requires a few notches up on the volume. I always care for my ears, so I don't listen at very high volume, and I find without the amp I still only have to go to about 60% on my iPhone.

Ahh ok, one more question, how well do the isolate? I do like to listen louder and I am unable to have anything that leaks sound in my open office setting.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 20
Honestly haven't tested them for isolation, but a lot of reviewers have stated they're good for it. I really don't know how anyone would be able to hear your music unless it's dead silent and they're very close to you. Even then, I don't think anyone could hear sound leakage.

Mar 23, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #15 of 20
Honestly haven't tested them for isolation, but a lot of reviewers have stated they're good for it. I really don't know how anyone would be able to hear your music unless it's dead silent and they're very close to you. Even then, I don't think anyone could hear sound leakage.

Oh you wouldn't believe how bad some IEM leak sound lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back