Need help finding a desktop headphone amp for fiiox5 + AKG Q 701 COMBO...on a budget.
May 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

k-roy

New Head-Fier
Hi I have AKG Q 701s and a fiiox5 and i got the fiioe12 expecting to hear more details but it just sounded horrible. Now I'm considering schiit products with the fiiox5 as a dac...not quite sure which schiit headphone will do justice to the fiiox5 and aka q 701s. I want to be blown away. I can't decide between the magni 2, magni 2 uber and asgard2. Experienced audiophiles i need your advice.

May 16, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 6
The Magni 2 is very powerful and should be able to easily drive the Q701s well to very loud volumes. So a more powerful amp from there is not likely to help as much.

The main reason to get the Magni 2 Uber over the Magni 2 is because you want the pre-amp capability for hooking up an external amp or powered speakers. The extra amount of power the Uber has is not significant.

May 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 6
So you think the magni 2 uber is all I'd need? Would it greatly surpass the built in amp of the fiiox5? Id have the x5 as the source and DAC and use the magni2 uber as the amp.

May 16, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 6
  Hi I have AKG Q 701s and a fiiox5 and i got the fiioe12 expecting to hear more details but it just sounded horrible. Now I'm considering Schiit products with the FiiO X5 as a DAC...not quite sure which Schiit headphone will do justice to the fiiox5 and aka q 701s. I want to be blown away. I can't decide between the Magni 2, Magni 2 uber and Asgard2. Experienced audiophiles i need your advice.

When you connect the FiiO E12 headphone amplifier to the FiiO X5, do you set the X5 to line-output (not Headphone output)?
Do you max the volume control on the X5 and only control the volume using the knob on the E12?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back