Need help finding a balanced 4-pin XLR adapter
Jul 25, 2020 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scrivs

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I would like to see if it is somehow possible to connect the 6.3mm (or the 3.5mm) Jack of my headphones to a 4-pin balanced XLR input on an amp.
I was looking at some adapters, but the only ones I managed to find were Jack female to 3-pin XLR male … not 4-pin.

Does anyone know if this exists? If not, what other options do I have?

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 5
What kind of headphones do you have? There is no way that I know of to (safely) connect single ended headphones cables to a balanced output; doing so ties the grounds together and can damage the amp.

Fairly sure you will either need to mod your existing cable or, if it is detachable, buy a replacement.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 5
What kind of headphones do you have? There is no way that I know of to (safely) connect single ended headphones cables to a balanced output; doing so ties the grounds together and can damage the amp.

Fairly sure you will either need to mod your existing cable or, if it is detachable, buy a replacement.
Ah, I see ... Thanks for making me aware of that. I've got the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, and was looking to connect it to the balanced XLR input on the Fostex HP-A4 BL. Would that be possible in any way, or no?

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 5
I actually managed to find this on eBay just now:

$_10.jpg

Female input for the TRS plug of my headphone, to a 4-pin male XLR output for the balanced input on the amp. Would that not work?

Jul 25, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 5
3.5mm ("standard") headphones plugs are single ended - 1 ground, two positive wires, one for left, one for right. Any adapter that lets you convert that to a balanced connection will tie the two balanced grounds together. This may damage your amplifier. Do /not/ get that adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back