Need help deciding
Dec 1, 2008 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

baseballbrad3

New Head-Fier
I have gone through a lot of ear buds and have gotten sick of sticking something in my ear, so its time for some read headphones. However, I have been looking around and I haven't been able to decide on a pair. What I've been going off of is I would like something in the $50ish area, closed, have good isolation, and they've gotta sound good. I've had my eye on the HD205's but I have also read that the HD201's are good too. I like techno and rock music if that makes any difference.

Currently, I am leaning toward the HD205's.
Also if there are any other recommendations, that would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 11
Yes to both...

I only play my music loud to block out noise, so if I block the external noise, then I wont have to turn it up very loud.

Example: I go on a fair amount of trips. I want to block out the noise of the road, while not bothering whoever happens to sit next to me.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 11
And you're sure you will want to listen to rock and techno at lower volumes? Hard for me to imagine anyone "wanting" to listen to this music at lower volumes. I listen to more rock and techno/bass heavy electronica than anything else, and I much prefer it loud. Otherwise it's like what's the point? IEMs would be best at blocking sound both ways. With headphones, there will be a risk that passengers will be bothered by the sound leaking, and then you'll be stuck listening to possibly lower than enjoyable volumes. Of course I'm disregarding the fact that it's not the safest idea to not hear what's going on around you when driving.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course I'm disregarding the fact that it's not the safest idea to not hear what's going on around you when driving.

Not driving
wink_face.gif
bus trips mainly.

I don't like IEM, I've tried a few to find out that they don't like to stay in my ears, no matter what size tip I use.

I am more concerned about external sound leaking in. I just don't want to have a pair of open headphones. I have a gaming headset that is open, and don't like to have it turned up as loud as I do. I know how annoying it is to sit next to someone with open head phones.

Dec 1, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballbrad3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not driving
wink_face.gif
bus trips mainly.

I don't like IEM, I've tried a few to find out that they don't like to stay in my ears, no matter what size tip I use.

I am more concerned about external sound leaking in. I just don't want to have a pair of open headphones. I have a gaming headset that is open, and don't like to have it turned up as loud as I do. I know how annoying it is to sit next to someone with open head phones.

OK. You might want to consider the Koss QZ-99. FWIR it is good at blocking noise.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 11
So I have been trying to do some more research, but all I get is more and more choices...

I've discovered Audio-Technica's ATH M20, ATH M30, ATH M40FS and Panasonic's RP-HTX7. I am leaning toward the M40FS. Anyone have any food for thought? Should I still consider the Sennheiser HD205's?

Also, I have a Zune. Will it be enough for any of these headphones or would I need an amp? (Forgive me, I'm new to this)

Dec 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by baseballbrad3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have been trying to do some more research, but all I get is more and more choices...

I've discovered Audio-Technica's ATH M20, ATH M30, ATH M40FS and Panasonic's RP-HTX7. I am leaning toward the M40FS. Anyone have any food for thought? Should I still consider the Sennheiser HD205's?

Also, I have a Zune. Will it be enough for any of these headphones or would I need an amp? (Forgive me, I'm new to this)

Unless you have an aversion to bass heavy headphones, for your needs and FWIR, I suggest the HD202 over any of those.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #11 of 11
HD205 are excellent headphones for those entering the world of good headphones.. if u ve been listening to consumer level crap then u ll enjoy HD205..they are much much better than HD201 btw.

their bass is very tight and they have surprising level of details for the price.

in that price range they are the best choice for a Sennheiser

man .. at the beginning of this year HD205 were my first headphones and look where i am now with all the DAC and amps lying around. Head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back