Need help deciding which mp3 player to get
Feb 19, 2006 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SilverBlade

100+ Head-Fier
I have narrowed my options down to 2 choices. The Sandisk e130 and the Sony Hi-MD Dh710.

The primary use for the mp3 player would be in my car, hooked up to the stereo through this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=398

The reason why I have these players listed, is that they both have removable media and removable batteries, both aspects are important to me. And I don't need 20 gigs of music with me at once, only a small collection.

The Hi-MD player *does* playback mp3's on the minidisc, and atrac conversion is not 'required'...

Also, the Hi-MD discs are a hell of a lot cheaper then SD cards...and if I want to use multiple cards, I'd rather not fork over hundreds of dollars.

On the other hand...the Sandisk e130 doesn't require any special software like Sonic Stage, and has built in memory. But..If I was to purchase anything beyond 1 SD card, It would cost a lot more, as SD cards have the highest cost-per-gig then any other media out there.

So..which would be the better option overall?

Feb 19, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 6
As always, it really depends on YOU.

It sounds to me like your favored option is the Sony minidisc player. The cheaper cost of minidiscs is more attractive, and you like that you don't HAVE to convert to ATRAC.

The advantage of not needing to use special software doesn't sound particularly useful to you, since I'd guess you're running Windows. While for some people it would be extremely important to be able to use the device as a UMS, you can run the software on your OS without any extra hassle or fear or incompatibility.

I think you're more interested in the minidisc player. I'd say, go for it
580smile.gif

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 6
I say get the MD, since it provides more flexibility and freedom to move it around, plus MDs are cheap to boot these days. If you don't want to use Sonicstage, you can always get a MD recorder and encode all your albums that way, but in real time.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm probably going to choose the Sandisk e130, since SD cards are more versitile then minidisc, and more devices take them. Not to mention ease of use. Also, future-proof. SD cards are only going to get cheaper and bigger in capacity.

I'm not too sure what the future of MD/Hi-MD is, but I think SD's future looks brighter.

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 6
The media storage device might be future-proof, but the player isn't. Since his primary consideration is the player, I'd say either would be fine - it will probably be hard to obtain either of the players in a couple of years.

It just sounds to me like you want the minidisc player more (fits your description better.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back