Need help deciding on IEM (Head-Direct RE2) vs. earphone (Yuin PK2/3?)
Oct 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Villain

New Head-Fier
I thought I had decided on the RE2s based on so many glowing reviews here and elsewhere (in terms of bang-for-your-buck, as my budget is ~$75).

Now, I know that Yuin PK2/3 are *earphones* and not IEMs, but I suppose if all else is relatively equal I would prefer that bud style vs. IEM just for comfort/ease of use (really just an educated guess).

So it's a weird comparison, but would any of you folks be able to offer some info to help me decide?

I just got a Cowon D2 and would rather *not* need an amp.
Isolation is not a requirement... but that said, if there's moderate isolation, that's fine.
Mega Bass is not a requirement (hence the initial decision to go with RE2s).
Comfort/ease of use is a requirement -- if SQ is awesome, but I can only wear them for 2 hrs max, that's no good.

Help?

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 4
I actually have both the RE2 and the PK3. I bought the PK3s as I felt the RE2s to be a bit uncomfortable for longer listening. They stick pretty deep in your ear (this can be alleviated by using the included 'olive' tips). Turns out the PK3s don't fit me properly; they slip out rather sooner than later - and their sound doesn't come close to that of the RE2s. The mids are a bit more present (maybe even slightly exaggerated) and they have more bass; in terms of bass quality they don't even come close to the RE2s. (I suppose) like you I wanted to have a multi-purpose hp: it seemed rather annoying to set up the amp and then use the full size K500s. Now, however, I have come to understand that it's better to use the full sized phones at home and the RE2s on the train/bike.
I don't know what to say, soundwise it is a clear "No" for the PK3s (don't know about the PK2s); comfortwise it's a clear "maybe". You'd better try them out somewhere. If they do fit you, it would somehow still be a maybe, as the bass is just so much better on the RE2s.
Hope this helps - somewhat
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tohni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have both the RE2 and the PK3. I bought the PK3s as I felt the RE2s to be a bit uncomfortable for longer listening. They stick pretty deep in your ear (this can be alleviated by using the included 'olive' tips). Turns out the PK3s don't fit me properly; they slip out rather sooner than later - and their sound doesn't come close to that of the RE2s. The mids are a bit more present (maybe even slightly exaggerated) and they have more bass; in terms of bass quality they don't even come close to the RE2s. (I suppose) like you I wanted to have a multi-purpose hp: it seemed rather annoying to set up the amp and then use the full size K500s. Now, however, I have come to understand that it's better to use the full sized phones at home and the RE2s on the train/bike.
I don't know what to say, soundwise it is a clear "No" for the PK3s (don't know about the PK2s); comfortwise it's a clear "maybe". You'd better try them out somewhere. If they do fit you, it would somehow still be a maybe, as the bass is just so much better on the RE2s.
Hope this helps - somewhat
tongue.gif

Agree, owning both the PK3's and RE2's... the PK3 have more bass and mid impact, but the quality isn't there compared to the RE2's. I'll say for casual listening, the PK3s are "fun" to listen to.

At home I'm currently using the RE2's, while the don't "bomb" your brain with bass. The bass quality it excellent and you can clearly hear complex beats and hits. I will say that with the addition of an amp (cmoy), the RE2's really came alive.

Now it really hits, soundstage has opened up, and it's a much richer sound. For around the $75-100 range, RE2's are a great choice. Unless über bass is your thing.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I think I can safely cross the PK3 off my list, then.

BUT.. I was doing some more reading and am thinking the more expensive OK2 might be an option. Again, it's probly a bit odd to be debating between OK2 vs. RE2... but if someone had a gun to your head, which would you go for?

I like the RE2 for - sound quality, price, tons of positive reviews
Don't like RE2 for - is an IEM gonna bug me when I need to take it in/out?? What if I can't make it fit right? Need to wait for it to go back on sale @ $69 =)

I like OK2 for - 'earbud', so I am confident it will be comfortable, easy to use. Sound quality (but did not find any direct comparisons to RE2), positive reviews
Don't like OK2 for - price, even on sale. Not sure ease of use + potential better quality vs. RE2 is worth extra $$

Assuming player is Cowon D2 + NO AMP -- does that make one more/less attractive for SQ reasons?

thanks again for the replies... much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back