Need help deciding on a good set of closed-back phones below $300
Jan 21, 2015 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

laughs

New Head-Fier
Hi there! First post and happy to be joining the community (my poor wallet though, I don't think it will ever forgive me for the decision).  I was wondering if I could get some help on deciding on a good set of closed headphones under $300.  I would love to get some open ones to fully enjoy the soundstage with some of the music I listen to like Pink Floyd (some nice Grado headphones perhaps), but alas it is simply just too impractical for me to have headphones which leak sound too much, which sadly has also removed the Denon AH-D2000 from consideration.

I listen to Rock primarily, almost all subgenres of it, mostly prog rock and classic rock, the 60's-70's sorta stuff.  But also would like something that does decently with some Electronic music or Hip Hop if I feel like listening to that as well, which I do pretty often. However, bass is really not very high on the top of of my priorities.  Primarily what I want to avoid is getting a V-shaped sound as some of my favorite artists have details in the mids that just make sweet sweet love to my ears with the right gear (see Pink Floyd above).  I would also like something that doesn't require an amp to sound decent.  Headphones that require one to reach full potential are fine, however a decent amp is just not in the budget for the moment (looking to mostly likely get some FiiO DAC/Amp in the near future, not now).

I have done a lot of research and have been looking primarily at:

Fischer FA-003
SoundMagic HP-150
AKG K550
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser Momentum (maybe? not really sure about this one)

Now notice these fall more under the $200 range, so I am wondering if there are more out there for slightly more that would bring a little more to the table (such as the Denon AH-D2000 that don't isolate sound well enough to not piss people off around me, which I am trying to avoid).  Now this might not make any sense to people but I do have a $300 budget for headphones, but really don't want to get an amp even if I buy headphones for $200...I have my reasons.

So yeah, wondering if people had opinions on these or other suggestions.  Really appreciate any answers, thanks!

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #2 of 10
The Fischer FA-003 is the same as the Brainwavz HM5, which is the same as the NVX XPT100: one manufacturer makes the drivers and cups, and then they are rebranded. Excellent for ~ $100, but the K550 and HP150 are a step up in class for the extra money.

You might also consider the ATH-M50X.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 10
I think the NAD Viso HP50 would work for your tastes.  Lots of postings on these
and a positive review on Inner Fidelity.  They are easy to drive.

I bought them and (for a closed headphone) like the sound.  However,
whoever designed the headband on these does not know what they
are doing.  Applies single point pressure to the top of your head.

But worth considering.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at some reviews and they do look pretty nice, although I can see why people would find it uncomfortable.    Definitely up for consideration, the reported "laid back" nature of them definitely agrees with my tastes in music, although maybe the real lack of bass would be a little frustrating for genres that require it more, do you have any opinion on that aspect of them?

I guess I really should look at the M50x also, don't know why I didn't because of how well known they are.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Does anyone know if/think that the 32 Ohm Beyer DT770's would satisfy my desires also? They look pretty good.  Gah there are too many choices, I feel like I'll make the wrong one even though they are all probably great.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 10
Whilst there is a thread debunking this HP at the moment I would definitely consider the Yamaha HPH-MT220 as well in your list - I own both the Yamaha and the AKG550 and almost always pick the Yamaha for its overall sound. Personally I find it strikes a good balance between bass impact and accuracy elsewhere in the range and, to my ears, it presents details well and is an enjoyable listen with most music genres.

Plenty of info on this site with owners opinions.

Easily driven as well.

I can't comment on the Soundmagic range as I've never heard them but they get very +ve reviews

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 10
  Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at some reviews and they do look pretty nice, although I can see why people would find it uncomfortable.    Definitely up for consideration, the reported "laid back" nature of them definitely agrees with my tastes in music, although maybe the real lack of bass would be a little frustrating for genres that require it more, do you have any opinion on that aspect of them?

I guess I really should look at the M50x also, don't know why I didn't because of how well known they are.

Definitely the HP50's are more in the 'laid back' category.  Easy and enjoyable to listen to.  On balance, i don't
find them too light in the bass.  They are not bass monsters.  But overall they present an cohesive musical picture.
The M50x may well extend deeper, and I've had the M50s for years and years, but I don't think the overall sound
is as well integrated (top to bottom) as the HP50.  I get a better sense of detail with the M50s, but perhaps not as engaging as the
HP50.  

Oh, and the M50s have a seriously long cord, if that's a consideration.  Neither of these need an amp.  The HP50 is
more likely to fit a smaller head.  

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 10
  Does anyone know if/think that the 32 Ohm Beyer DT770's would satisfy my desires also? They look pretty good.  Gah there are too many choices, I feel like I'll make the wrong one even though they are all probably great.

I have the DT770 LE, which I believe the new 32 ohm DT770's is based on, and I don't know if they will be what you want. They're bright with some nice, if slightly boomy, bottom end, but the mids are a little recessed. Not too bad, but they arent as forward as I'd personally like for things like classic rock. I also feel that they benefit a lot from a decent amp, even though they are low impedance. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 10

I have the DT770 LE, which I believe the new 32 ohm DT770's is based on, and I don't know if they will be what you want. They're bright with some nice, if slightly boomy, bottom end, but the mids are a little recessed. Not too bad, but they arent as forward as I'd personally like for things like classic rock. I also feel that they benefit a lot from a decent amp, even though they are low impedance. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input, that's the stuff I was seeing after investigating more into them, don't seem best for my tastes when considering the others on my list.

Whilst there is a thread debunking this HP at the moment I would definitely consider the Yamaha HPH-MT220 as well in your list - I own both the Yamaha and the AKG550 and almost always pick the Yamaha for its overall sound. Personally I find it strikes a good balance between bass impact and accuracy elsewhere in the range and, to my ears, it presents details well and is an enjoyable listen with most music genres.

Plenty of info on this site with owners opinions.

Easily driven as well.

I can't comment on the Soundmagic range as I've never heard them but they get very +ve reviews

Good suggestion, definitely now on my shortlist, pretty much between the Soundmagic and Yamaha at this point and since the Yamaha ones are so inexpensive I might get a cheap DAC/Amp to go with it.  I feel like I just really need something to bypass my computer's aux output because I get static from it with some of the devices I have and have no way to fix it.  I have a rockboxed ipod classic that I plan on listening to a lot of music on, but it is annoying to get better audio while on the go than while at home. 

Thanks so much for all the answers.  I have a feeling like I'll end up going with the HP-150's, taking into account how much everyone loves the HP-100 and that the HP-150 fixed 99% of people's qualms with it.

Jan 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 10
How important is portability and travel friendly? I noticed one on ear in your list that I considered - Sennheiser Momentum -  but I didn't feel it was as travel friendly as B&W P5 series 2 that I ultimately bought. The longer I own the P5 series 2 more I appreciate their being so good about fitting in my computer bag and not standing out at my work sites as some products do. It wasn't hard for me to get them in your budget range even though they list at $300.

Sorry that I don't have a lot to offer beyond that because the market is full of so many great choices, but there might be others in my scenario where the physical format can make a difference too.

Have fun shopping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back