Need help deciding Klipsch S4i or Etymotics Hf3
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

p0z3rph0l1f3

New Head-Fier
After doing some research mainly thanks to ljokerl and his extensive 202 IEM comparisons I've narrowed down my search for good in ear headphones to use with my iPhone to the Klipsch S4i and the Etymotic HF3 and am curious what others had to say.  My practical use of these is going to be listening to music while at the gym daily.  In the reviews it states that the cabling of the s4's is worrisome which obviously causes some concern with what I'll be using them for.  I listen to all types of music but am mostly into rap/dubstep and the lack of bass on the Ety's has me concerned as well; with that being said I do realize we're talking about in ear headphones that clearly wont be able to deliver bass like an over ear would any day of the week.  What are your thoughts/suggestions between the two as I know both seem to get much praise within these forums?

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 10
I own and use both on an iPhone 3GS and then recently an iPhone 4S.  The S4i's went to my wife and I kept the HF3's and use those along with Shure SE 315's.

For the controls, of course both operated the phone just fine.  I like the S4i's location better at the bottom of the "Y".  I have to search a little for the HF3's controls.  The HF3's have a better, and very sensitive mic.  I have callers comment on background/ambient noises frequently when using them though.  Both have microphonics in the cable on calls.

The S4i's fit good and are more comfortable, but you may have issues keeping them in your ears.  If I use them while running they constantly come loose.  The HF3's once inserted deep into your ears just simply stay put.  I would not call the fit comfortable, but rather something you'll get used to over time.   

Blocking out noise, Ety's are just about the best.

Sonically, I prefer the overall clean and accurate presentation of the HF3's over the S4i's.  My music preference is jazz and pop/rock and think the HF3's do a great job in the midrange.  The S4i's have elevated bass and go deeper, if your into rap they may be better suited for you.  They are the more fun pair to listen to when you want to let things rip.  For bass, the HF3s absolutely need a good seal into your ear.  Even with that I would not call them extended in the low end, but accurate where they do play.

Overall build quality goes to the HF3's.

Hope this helps.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 10
I will recommend the Sony EX310, EX510 and they sound amazing for these genres.

Nov 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Thank you daddyo1973 for the insight into both and I'm happy to hear you have actual experience with both models.  Zarim those both sound tempting but I was hoping to also have the functionality to use a mic if needed as I'll be on my iPhone most of the time when using these.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 10
I use the HF3s on the go with my iPhone on my commute, at work etc.  When I am home and want to take a break and listen I use the SE315, which in my opinion is the better sounding IEM.  I am considering the optional cable for them with the mic and may sell my HF3s.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for all the help guys I ended up picking up both monitors ultimately and decided the HF3's were just a better monitor from what I read and have been told.  Also if anyone is interesting in picking them up surprisingly BestBuy has them on their website on sale for $100 which is about the best price I've seen for these.  Just a quick question for daddyo1973 or anyone else with these montiors, what tip do you use with yours, I've found the only ones that fit well in my ear are either of the foam style tips and that the two flange style tips they provide are way too small for my ear canal.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 10
the foams will get destroyed if you work out in them as sweat really messes with its properties

Nov 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 10
 Just for the fact that it's mainly rap/dubstep, the S4is. However, you've picked two in ears with a substantial lack of lower end frequencies, the etys being more so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back