Need help deciding: Grado SR80 vs. ATH M50
Sep 4, 2010 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Forcefedfreak

New Head-Fier
What's up everyone I've recently decided to buy some head phones (previously rocking Sony in ears), I'm looking at spending $100-$150 bucks. From what I've read it seems like a lot of people recommend the SR80 and the ATHM50.

Just looking for a nudge one way or another I guess. There is a Grado dealer that I can go buy the SR80s from today, no one around carries ATH, so I'd have to buy online, so I'm kind of tempted to just go get the Grados.

I listen to a LOT of different music genres, I write for a music review website, so it's not like I'm only listening to one genre of music.

Sorry if this topic is a bit redundant. There is a lot of lingo here that I read in previous threads that I searched, so I'm still a bit confused. TIA!

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll probably be plugging these headphones into either my lap top, or my ipod (latest gen classic). I probably won't be using them outside much, I still have my Sony in ears which I use when I'm in the gym, and other scenarios like that.

With these new headphones it will be mostly for sitting on my couch listening to music while I do computer work.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 13
the grado's are aggresive bright sounding with punchy bass but not big, a sound which goes pretty well with rock/metal stuff,although others like them for other things too...but this is the common opinion about them.    the M50 are more balanced sounding in the highs and mids with no appearent Exaggeration except from the bass which is over amphasized...but not too much imo,perfect for bass heads.   the M50 bass goes down pretty deep and it is very punchy.
the M50 are great for all music genres imo and are my personal recommendation to you my friend.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 13
plonters's is undoubtedly the majority opinion around here and thus probably the safest one to follow (though there's only one way to find out what works for you). Mine is that the Grados are actually pretty neutral and accurate with (if worn properly) just a mild upper-mid emphasis, but many people prefer rolled-off highs (probably because of the badly produced, screechy recordings common with many genres of music) and bloated bass.

Sep 4, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 13
Alessandro MS1 or the Shure 840 are good choices. The MS1 is less aggressive than the SR-80 and the 840 more balanced than the M50. If you're listening to different genres then a more balanced headphone would probably be a better bet. Also think about getting even an inexpensive external DAC like the uDac that will be a marked improvement over the vast majority of sound cards. Good luck.

Sep 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up buying the Grados for a few reasons...
1. I was able to have them in my hands at the end of the day! I would have had to order the M50's and wait for them, I'm a bit of a "need it now" type of person!
2. They were a little less expensive, and after reading all of the reviews I decided I just needed to buy a pair of head phones check em out for a while, and that will give me a much better idea of what I'm looking for personally in a set of headphones.

Again thanks for your help guys, anyone have any suggestions on amps? haha.

Sep 5, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 13
I love threads that ask about two different headphones and the majority goes one way, yet the OP goes the opposite.  Why bother asking in the first place?  I had the grado's and the m50s...m50s win hands down for a wider range of music.  Enjoy your harsh highs!

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25  
" I love threads that ask about two different headphones and the majority goes one way, yet the OP goes the opposite.  Why bother asking in the first place?  I had the grado's and the m50s...m50s win hands down for a wider range of music.  Enjoy your harsh highs!"

This doesn't bother me in the least. I experienced this many times. Let whomever decide what they want. If they enjoy their headphones that's all that matters. We're here to help, not choose for them.

Sep 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdynsty25  
Quote:
" I suppose that's true...still kinda strange tho."

I buck trends for a living and in life. I'm used to it. I've been called a contrarian. LoL. What was once called to me as a pejorative, it's one I now take pride in. :)

So I say, take what everyone tells you and do the opposite people!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back