Need help deciding between Stellia, Arya, empyrean, or any other headphone
Jun 11, 2020 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

808Probz

New Head-Fier
My he-400 finally broke and I'm looking for a new headphone. Problem is I live in Hawaii and don't have any way of testing out headphones (don't have such places here). I have been out of the loop so I haven't kept up with current best headphones and would like some help. After reading the forums I think those 3 headphones are on top my radar (especially price range $3k max) but if there are other headphones I missed that competes with them please let me know.

It can be closed or open and I listen to all types of music and watch movies with headphones. Appreciate any and all help.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 18
You should seriously consider the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow Closed. I know a few folks that love them after upgrading from the HE-400. Personally I went from the 400i to the Aeon Flow Open and love the upgrade. You lose a little treble detail, but gain bass slam and midrange clarity. Build quality is superb on the Aeon Flow line too.

I think these are $700 new, but you can find some discounted below $600.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 18
If you can live with the size and weight I love my new HEDD headphones. Previously I had LCD-X which come very close to the HEDD and are a bit more ’punchy’.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 18
It might help if you mention the rest of your chain,especially what amp,if any,you have.
I prefer the ZMF Verite closed to all of the headphones you listed,but then again I have invested into a system made to sound optimal for high impedance dynamic headphones.

If you have a basic amp or plan on using your phone or DAP then I would go for the Stellia,looks be damned.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 18
Of the ones you mentioned I’m going for the Arya’s while the other two are great at what they do I’m going to go here. The Stelliia while great with tonality and separation the lack of soundstage just puts me off a bit even with a closed back but still a very good headphone. The Empyrean is also very good but just too warm for me have to save most of the time I’ve heard them was from a Manley Absolute and just not get into that amp but that is me.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 18
It might help if you mention the rest of your chain,especially what amp,if any,you have.
I prefer the ZMF Verite closed to all of the headphones you listed,but then again I have invested into a system made to sound optimal for high impedance dynamic headphones.

If you have a basic amp or plan on using your phone or DAP then I would go for the Stellia,looks be damned.
At the time I purchased the he-400 I didn't have much money so I just used a fiio 18 that a member recommended me. Till this day I still have that and only that. I do plan on buying an amp/dac to pair with the headphone I buy.

Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 18
Of the ones you mentioned I’m going for the Arya’s while the other two are great at what they do I’m going to go here. The Stelliia while great with tonality and separation the lack of soundstage just puts me off a bit even with a closed back but still a very good headphone. The Empyrean is also very good but just too warm for me have to save most of the time I’ve heard them was from a Manley Absolute and just not get into that amp but that is me.
If you can live with the size and weight I love my new HEDD headphones. Previously I had LCD-X which come very close to the HEDD and are a bit more ’punchy’.
Oh thank you. will look into those headphones. Appreciate your help.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 18
[/QUOTE
Yeah I was actually torn between the Arya and stellia. Lot of good reviews about the utopia and they say the stellia is near or better than them. But also read Arya is really good too like a better hd800S. MAN DO I WISH I COULD TRYOUT HEADPHONES B4 BUYING. Lol
Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 18
In that price range I get Arya or Whichever zmf fits your flavor.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 18
The Arya and Empyrean are very different headphones - the Arya having the typical Hifiman lean slightly bright sound while the Empyrean is more warm/full. The Audeze LCD line is also worth considering, I personally like their tuning more than what Hifiman does as they sound fuller and thicker, though they're heavier than the Arya or Empyrean if that matters to you at all.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #13 of 18
The Arya and Empyrean are very different headphones - the Arya having the typical Hifiman lean slightly bright sound while the Empyrean is more warm/full. The Audeze LCD line is also worth considering, I personally like their tuning more than what Hifiman does as they sound fuller and thicker, though they're heavier than the Arya or Empyrean if that matters to you at all.
Thank you. The audeze does have really good reviews but i am kinda scared of the comfort from what I read especially since I can't try them on. But they say the bass is one of the best. Years ago I wanted to get them but unfortunately didn't have the money and settled for the he400. But have no complaints with them. Not being able to experience other headphones makes me so curious as to all the amazing comments all the top tier headphones get. So exciting. Thank you so much for your help.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 18
Thank you. The audeze does have really good reviews but i am kinda scared of the comfort from what I read especially since I can't try them on. But they say the bass is one of the best. Years ago I wanted to get them but unfortunately didn't have the money and settled for the he400. But have no complaints with them. Not being able to experience other headphones makes me so curious as to all the amazing comments all the top tier headphones get. So exciting. Thank you so much for your help.

I personally haven't ever had an issue with the weight of the Audeze headphones (just demoed them, never owned one, but I own a Monoprice M1570 which is just as heavy) but everyone is different and some do complain about the weight. The LCD-4Z, LCD-MX4, and LCD-GX all come with their magnesium frame which significantly reduces the weight however. The 4Z is supposed to be sonically nearly identical to the LCD-4, which is still the best headphone I've ever heard, and though a bit out of your budget new, you could likely easily find them pre-owned, open box, or b-stock for the range you're looking (or just talk an authorized dealer down).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back