Need help deciding between SR325i and HD598, also amps
Jul 11, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 36

Quote:
Are you being nit-picky on purpose? I'm not debating whether one senn has different sound from the other here. They obviously do. I'm making broad statements. If you can't hear that tonally HD800 and HD650 are closer together than either with GS-1000/PS-1000, I really don't know what I can say to you. I guess your ears are just that much better then mine. kudos.

No, I'm serious. The HD650 sounded absolutely nothing like the HD800, completely different.I have no idea how the GS/PS1000 sound, but I don't know how you can even compare those two Senns. I mean seriously, what do they even share in common? Totally different bass, mids, highs, soundstage, transparency, veil, signature...

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
Haha, you think I'm buying those at 300$, that's would be sweet man, I wish. Just to give a general idea how Israeli consumers are ****ed in the ass I'll specify some prices. Those are legit distributor prices mind you;
Both K701/Q701 and HD598 are selling at approx 435$
The SR325i is currently at approx 385$

Now a question for you, do you think something as small as udac-2 can power the K/Q701? Also, the general consensus seems to be that those HP are lacking, even in this very thread. What's your take on it? Also, playing with the EQ doesn't seem that... how do I put this, audiophile? Why buy a hardware if you have to tweak it?

I didn't find either AD1000RPM or the AD2000 on the official distributor site for the Audio Technica, so I guess the answer is no. Though it wouldn't hurt to send them an email and ask. Why, are those phones good? They seem like closed phones, are they not? I'm not a big fan of closed phones, well, being perfectly honest I only listen to Denon AH-D7000 and something expensive from ultrasone (that cost like 2.5 grand or something insane) but I wasn't impressed with both.

I appreciate the input on both SR325i and HD598. Question, the GS-1000i were comfortable, they weren't 'holy ****' kind of comfortable, but I would say that weren't lacking behind hd800, at least not by a lot. So if I get the SR325i with the GS-1000i pads (which I definitely going to do), is the chafing and everything still an issue? I understand aluminium is aluminium but still, how heavy can they be right?

I have a major issue with most dynamic headphones under $500 ( may be $1000 for you?). There is almost always a problem with some aspect of the sound that I feel can be cured with a good equalizer to a certain extent. I was happy using the AKG K701 through my Cowon J3 mp3 player, but nothing else could cure the K701 treble and midrange enough for me without ruining the sound, even rolling tubes with my previous Woo Audio 6SE tube amp.

The AD-series are open headphones from Audio Technica. I had the AD2000 and my memory of them is not too reliable but there are many reviews of them. As for closed headphones, the best I have heard is the ATH W11R and I prefer it over any open dynamic. However, open orthos and electrostats are in a different league.

The SR325i aluminum shells were far too heavy. I have some cartilage that is shaped in a way on my ear that protrudes and touches the earpad, such as the following example.

This area becomes extremely irritated as skin was slowly getting chafed off from the pads. It was so bad that I stopped listening to music with headphones until I sold it and bought something else. I'm not being nit picky here. They really screwing hurt. If suppose you don't have ears like that, then you probably won't have the same problem. I'm not sure what you would think about the sound because I thought the Denon D7000s was a far better headphone.

I don't think the GS1000i pads are that bad, but I suspect it would drastically change the sound.

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #33 of 36
Groove,
I don't have the 325is, but I do have the Alessandro MS2 (which is almost the same). I hate the bowl pads, my ears just could not get used to it. So I bought the bagel pads of the GS1000i to try with the MS2. Wow, those are so much comfier than the dumb bowl pads. But where did the sound go??? And where is the bass??? Learn from my mistake and don't repeat it.
The bagel pads are only meant for the GS1000i. I would know because I have a pair of GS1000i.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #34 of 36

Quote:
I have a major issue with most dynamic headphones under $500 ( may be $1000 for you?). There is almost always a problem with some aspect of the sound that I feel can be cured with a good equalizer to a certain extent. I was happy using the AKG K701 through my Cowon J3 mp3 player, but nothing else could cure the K701 treble and midrange enough for me without ruining the sound, even rolling tubes with my previous Woo Audio 6SE tube amp.

The AD-series are open headphones from Audio Technica. I had the AD2000 and my memory of them is not too reliable but there are many reviews of them. As for closed headphones, the best I have heard is the ATH W11R and I prefer it over any open dynamic. However, open orthos and electrostats are in a different league.

The SR325i aluminum shells were far too heavy. I have some cartilage that is shaped in a way on my ear that protrudes and touches the earpad, such as the following example.

This area becomes extremely irritated as skin was slowly getting chafed off from the pads. It was so bad that I stopped listening to music with headphones until I sold it and bought something else. I'm not being nit picky here. They really screwing hurt. If suppose you don't have ears like that, then you probably won't have the same problem. I'm not sure what you would think about the sound because I thought the Denon D7000s was a far better headphone.

I don't think the GS1000i pads are that bad, but I suspect it would drastically change the sound.

Had the exact same problem with the SR225is, the pads were pretty much stabbing that part of my ear.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #35 of 36
If this matters at all anymore...  The HD598's do not have this problem at all.  These **** comfortable.  I'd have to say a good comparison would be covering your ears while wearing mittens.  

Sep 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #36 of 36
  DO YOU WANT ON EAR?
No? Hd598
Yes? 325i

DO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE SENN?
No? 325i
Yes? HD598

DO YOU WANT MORE FORWARD LISTENING, less senn?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

MODDING IN THE FUTURE?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

I have a SR80i and HD598. The Hd598 are more laid back but not as much as HD800. They cover all the bases well and have great soundstage. Call up J&R to get them out for $180. Also, you can go cheaper with the HD558 and remove the innards and take a peice of tape from the inside to get really close to the HD598 sound. $50 less for them.

I know this is an old thread, but did you say it's possible to get the HD598's for $180? Or am I reading your post incorrectly? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back