Need help deciding between SR325i and HD598, also amps
Jul 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Groove

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've browsed around but it seems there is no direct comparison between the two. Basically, I need to get a second setup to listen to music to. I have my own setup of hd800 with naim headline2 with teddypardo psu and teddydac, but now I need another set of something cheaper because my better half is giving me trouble.

I've considered several options, and summing up from what I've read and including the price issues, I'm down to those two. Also, I've considered either Project Head Box MK2, nuforce udac2, and musical fidelity V-can headphone amps, and even though I've read about them any extra opinions are more then welcomed.

Music taste is smooth jazz, blues, vocal, some rock, she likes doors a lot...

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 36
DO YOU WANT ON EAR?
No? Hd598
Yes? 325i

DO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE SENN?
No? 325i
Yes? HD598

DO YOU WANT MORE FORWARD LISTENING, less senn?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

MODDING IN THE FUTURE?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

I have a SR80i and HD598. The Hd598 are more laid back but not as much as HD800. They cover all the bases well and have great soundstage. Call up J&R to get them out for $180. Also, you can go cheaper with the HD558 and remove the innards and take a peice of tape from the inside to get really close to the HD598 sound. $50 less for them.

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 36
Hah! That's kind of a brilliant summary.. in a way.. I don't really care if they're on ear or not. I personally like when headphones cover the whole ear, but I listen to headphones hours straight, I doubt she'll use them for such continues periods of time, so I don't think grados will make her ears hurt or something like that. Now, about wanting something like Senn, well, in my time I did choose Senn over Grado so I obviously liked it better, but I already have  Senn, so maybe having another headphone in the house isn't such a bad idea... I don't know. Thanks though, if anything, your reply made me laugh ^_^.

Any more opinions? Also on amps. It would help a lot!

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #4 of 36
Then Grado would be good.

It's well worth it to upgrade the ear pads to G-cush pads. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 36
currently listening to SR325is through a Little Dot I+. they have fantastic synergy together, and from I've read it seems hard to beat the bang for you buck on the LD I+. As for the SR325is, it sounds fantastic, though I can't say I've listened to the Sennheiser.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
Then Grado would be good.

It's well worth it to upgrade the ear pads to G-cush pads. 

+1 on the G-cush.

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 36
The SR325i is the brightest headphone I have had the displeasure to own. The HD598 is certainly more balanced and has a much wider soundstage. Both headphones have some midrange congestion but the SR325i congestion is less obvious due to it's treble being emphasized over the mids. I got the HD598 new from J&R for $175. You'd have trouble finding the SR325i lower than $300 and I definitely do not think it is a better headphone.

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 36

Quote:
DO YOU WANT ON EAR?
No? Hd598
Yes? 325i

DO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE SENN?
No? 325i
Yes? HD598

DO YOU WANT MORE FORWARD LISTENING, less senn?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

MODDING IN THE FUTURE?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i

I have a SR80i and HD598. The Hd598 are more laid back but not as much as HD800. They cover all the bases well and have great soundstage. Call up J&R to get them out for $180. Also, you can go cheaper with the HD558 and remove the innards and take a peice of tape from the inside to get really close to the HD598 sound. $50 less for them.

HD800 isn't laid back.

Jul 7, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 36
Thanks guys, so basically there is no unanimous opinion regarding comparing those two directly. I kinda already know that Grado's are bright, I haven't listened to SR325i but I have owned the GS-1000, and from Senn's I have listened to 650 (except from my 800). So it's safe to assume that 598 have typical Senn sound, like the 650's and 800's, and 325i have typical grado sound, like the GS-1000? I haven't heard the any grado in a while, I guess I'll have to find a way to listen to them after all... by the way, from the place I'm buying those two, Grado's are actually cheaper, that's Israel for you... Anyway, anyone has any other thoughts?  I would also very much appreciate anything regarding the amps, so far no one mentioned a thing about them.

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #11 of 36
You probably know, since owning the GS-1000, that Grado's do not require special amps.  Oh yeah, some amps will show a difference, good or bad, but in general, the 325is play well off just about anything.  Another advantage of Grados.  Unless you must pick nits.  Senns I don't know from.  
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #12 of 36
The 598 is really quite a good can, especially for $175 that people are getting them for. I'm already regretting returning mine and will probably pick it up again once J&R has them back in stock. Very comfy, great sound stage and sounded overall very smooth and pleasant to me. From what I've read it's more forward than your typical Senn but I haven't used any other Senns before so can't personally comment on that. The SR325is, OTOH, are a lot more forward with an occasionally harsh treble. The tape mod (just Scotch/masking tape around the entire edge of the L cush pads) works wonders in bringing that down though but I eventually returned it in favor of the Alessandro MS2i which is pretty much the same can but w/the treble already brought down out of the box.

And I, for one couldn't stand the Grado with the G cush pads. Just made everything sound farther away and tinny to me.

Both cans can be driven easily without an amp (but I've read of one head-fier's complaint that the 598 sounded terrible to him w/out one) but they both sound great to me w/the udac2.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
You probably know, since owning the GS-1000, that Grado's do not require special amps.  Oh yeah, some amps will show a difference, good or bad, but in general, the 325is play well off just about anything.  Another advantage of Grados.  Unless you must pick nits.  Senns I don't know from.  
tongue_smile.gif

Actually, I rather disagree with you on that one. I don't know about the 325i but the GS-1000 definitely needs an amp. I used it with lehmann black cube linear I remember.. Just IMHO ofcourse, every has their own ears and such.. though my current setup is leagues better (also imho :p).

Quote:
The 598 is really quite a good can, especially for $175 that people are getting them for. I'm already regretting returning mine and will probably pick it up again once J&R has them back in stock. Very comfy, great sound stage and sounded overall very smooth and pleasant to me. From what I've read it's more forward than your typical Senn but I haven't used any other Senns before so can't personally comment on that. The SR325is, OTOH, are a lot more forward with an occasionally harsh treble. The tape mod (just Scotch/masking tape around the entire edge of the L cush pads) works wonders in bringing that down though but I eventually returned it in favor of the Alessandro MS2i which is pretty much the same can but w/the treble already brought down out of the box.

And I, for one couldn't stand the Grado with the G cush pads. Just made everything sound farther away and tinny to me.

Both cans can be driven easily without an amp (but I've read of one head-fier's complaint that the 598 sounded terrible to him w/out one) but they both sound great to me w/the udac2.

As I said, can't get them for 175$ here. For me they'll be around the same price, Senns slightly more expensive. It's good to know that udac2 can amp them both, thanks for that, I'm really leaning towards it, as it is also a dac. But I really did hate the harshness of the grados... perhaps 598+udac2 is the way to go...

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #14 of 36

Quote:

Actually, I rather disagree with you on that one. I don't know about the 325i but the GS-1000 definitely needs an amp. I used it with lehmann black cube linear I remember.. Just IMHO ofcourse, every has their own ears and such.. though my current setup is leagues better (also imho :p).

As I said, can't get them for 175$ here. For me they'll be around the same price, Senns slightly more expensive. It's good to know that udac2 can amp them both, thanks for that, I'm really leaning towards it, as it is also a dac. But I really did hate the harshness of the grados... perhaps 598+udac2 is the way to go...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I wrote "special amps", not "amp".  I see you don't like Grados anyway so .... have fun.  I find your original post confusing now.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #15 of 36
I'll just post another plug for the Little Dot I+. I don't know how much it would cost to chip to Isreal, but it costs $105 USD, which is pretty darn cheap, and it sounds great. Great options on tube and op-amp rolling if you choose to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back