Need help deciding between SR325i and HD598, also amps
post-7589149
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 36

Groove

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
10
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
20
Likes
10
Hey guys,
 
I've browsed around but it seems there is no direct comparison between the two. Basically, I need to get a second setup to listen to music to. I have my own setup of hd800 with naim headline2 with teddypardo psu and teddydac, but now I need another set of something cheaper because my better half is giving me trouble.
 
I've considered several options, and summing up from what I've read and including the price issues, I'm down to those two. Also, I've considered either Project Head Box MK2, nuforce udac2, and musical fidelity V-can headphone amps, and even though I've read about them any extra opinions are more then welcomed.
 
Music taste is smooth jazz, blues, vocal, some rock, she likes doors a lot...
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589284
Post #2 of 36

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52
DO YOU WANT ON EAR?
No? Hd598
Yes? 325i
 
DO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE SENN?
No? 325i
Yes? HD598
 
DO YOU WANT MORE FORWARD LISTENING, less senn?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i
 
MODDING IN THE FUTURE?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i
 
I have a SR80i and HD598. The Hd598 are more laid back but not as much as HD800. They cover all the bases well and have great soundstage. Call up J&R to get them out for $180. Also, you can go cheaper with the HD558 and remove the innards and take a peice of tape from the inside to get really close to the HD598 sound. $50 less for them.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589304
Post #3 of 36

Groove

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
10
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
20
Likes
10
Hah! That's kind of a brilliant summary.. in a way.. I don't really care if they're on ear or not. I personally like when headphones cover the whole ear, but I listen to headphones hours straight, I doubt she'll use them for such continues periods of time, so I don't think grados will make her ears hurt or something like that. Now, about wanting something like Senn, well, in my time I did choose Senn over Grado so I obviously liked it better, but I already have  Senn, so maybe having another headphone in the house isn't such a bad idea... I don't know. Thanks though, if anything, your reply made me laugh ^_^.
 
Any more opinions? Also on amps. It would help a lot!
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589309
Post #4 of 36

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
52
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,256
Likes
52
Then Grado would be good.
 
It's well worth it to upgrade the ear pads to G-cush pads. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589602
Post #5 of 36

griffindy

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 24, 2011
Posts
33
Likes
10
currently listening to SR325is through a Little Dot I+. they have fantastic synergy together, and from I've read it seems hard to beat the bang for you buck on the LD I+. As for the SR325is, it sounds fantastic, though I can't say I've listened to the Sennheiser.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589651
Post #6 of 36

bbophead

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
149
Location
La Grange, Texas
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Location
La Grange, Texas
Posts
2,737
Likes
149


Quote:
Then Grado would be good.
 
It's well worth it to upgrade the ear pads to G-cush pads. 
+1 on the G-cush.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589671
Post #7 of 36

wind016

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Messages
3,895
Reaction score
86
Joined
Jun 19, 2009
Posts
3,895
Likes
86
The SR325i is the brightest headphone I have had the displeasure to own. The HD598 is certainly more balanced and has a much wider soundstage. Both headphones have some midrange congestion but the SR325i congestion is less obvious due to it's treble being emphasized over the mids. I got the HD598 new from J&R for $175. You'd have trouble finding the SR325i lower than $300 and I definitely do not think it is a better headphone.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589801
Post #8 of 36

MegaMushroom

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
573
Reaction score
29
Location
Japan
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Location
Japan
Posts
573
Likes
29


Quote:
Music taste is smooth jazz, blues, vocal, some rock, she likes doors a lot...


My 598s love this kind of music, but I've never heard the 325is.  My opinion is limited, but for what its worth the Sennheisers should be cheaper by a decent bit.   
 
     Share This Post       
post-7589881
Post #9 of 36

Alghazanth

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Messages
1,516
Reaction score
31
Joined
Apr 28, 2011
Posts
1,516
Likes
31


Quote:
DO YOU WANT ON EAR?
No? Hd598
Yes? 325i
 
DO YOU WANT SOMETHING LIKE SENN?
No? 325i
Yes? HD598
 
DO YOU WANT MORE FORWARD LISTENING, less senn?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i
 
MODDING IN THE FUTURE?
No? HD598
Yes? 325i
 
I have a SR80i and HD598. The Hd598 are more laid back but not as much as HD800. They cover all the bases well and have great soundstage. Call up J&R to get them out for $180. Also, you can go cheaper with the HD558 and remove the innards and take a peice of tape from the inside to get really close to the HD598 sound. $50 less for them.
HD800 isn't laid back.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7590557
Post #10 of 36

Groove

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
10
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
20
Likes
10
Thanks guys, so basically there is no unanimous opinion regarding comparing those two directly. I kinda already know that Grado's are bright, I haven't listened to SR325i but I have owned the GS-1000, and from Senn's I have listened to 650 (except from my 800). So it's safe to assume that 598 have typical Senn sound, like the 650's and 800's, and 325i have typical grado sound, like the GS-1000? I haven't heard the any grado in a while, I guess I'll have to find a way to listen to them after all... by the way, from the place I'm buying those two, Grado's are actually cheaper, that's Israel for you... Anyway, anyone has any other thoughts?  I would also very much appreciate anything regarding the amps, so far no one mentioned a thing about them.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7590638
Post #11 of 36

bbophead

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
149
Location
La Grange, Texas
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Location
La Grange, Texas
Posts
2,737
Likes
149
You probably know, since owning the GS-1000, that Grado's do not require special amps.  Oh yeah, some amps will show a difference, good or bad, but in general, the 325is play well off just about anything.  Another advantage of Grados.  Unless you must pick nits.  Senns I don't know from.  

 
     Share This Post       
post-7590673
Post #12 of 36

kenshin27

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
17
Joined
May 24, 2011
Posts
164
Likes
17
The 598 is really quite a good can, especially for $175 that people are getting them for. I'm already regretting returning mine and will probably pick it up again once J&R has them back in stock. Very comfy, great sound stage and sounded overall very smooth and pleasant to me. From what I've read it's more forward than your typical Senn but I haven't used any other Senns before so can't personally comment on that. The SR325is, OTOH, are a lot more forward with an occasionally harsh treble. The tape mod (just Scotch/masking tape around the entire edge of the L cush pads) works wonders in bringing that down though but I eventually returned it in favor of the Alessandro MS2i which is pretty much the same can but w/the treble already brought down out of the box.
 
And I, for one couldn't stand the Grado with the G cush pads. Just made everything sound farther away and tinny to me.
 
Both cans can be driven easily without an amp (but I've read of one head-fier's complaint that the 598 sounded terrible to him w/out one) but they both sound great to me w/the udac2.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7590694
Post #13 of 36

Groove

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
10
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Posts
20
Likes
10


Quote:
You probably know, since owning the GS-1000, that Grado's do not require special amps.  Oh yeah, some amps will show a difference, good or bad, but in general, the 325is play well off just about anything.  Another advantage of Grados.  Unless you must pick nits.  Senns I don't know from.  

 
Actually, I rather disagree with you on that one. I don't know about the 325i but the GS-1000 definitely needs an amp. I used it with lehmann black cube linear I remember.. Just IMHO ofcourse, every has their own ears and such.. though my current setup is leagues better (also imho :p).

 
Quote:
The 598 is really quite a good can, especially for $175 that people are getting them for. I'm already regretting returning mine and will probably pick it up again once J&R has them back in stock. Very comfy, great sound stage and sounded overall very smooth and pleasant to me. From what I've read it's more forward than your typical Senn but I haven't used any other Senns before so can't personally comment on that. The SR325is, OTOH, are a lot more forward with an occasionally harsh treble. The tape mod (just Scotch/masking tape around the entire edge of the L cush pads) works wonders in bringing that down though but I eventually returned it in favor of the Alessandro MS2i which is pretty much the same can but w/the treble already brought down out of the box.
 
And I, for one couldn't stand the Grado with the G cush pads. Just made everything sound farther away and tinny to me.
 
Both cans can be driven easily without an amp (but I've read of one head-fier's complaint that the 598 sounded terrible to him w/out one) but they both sound great to me w/the udac2.

As I said, can't get them for 175$ here. For me they'll be around the same price, Senns slightly more expensive. It's good to know that udac2 can amp them both, thanks for that, I'm really leaning towards it, as it is also a dac. But I really did hate the harshness of the grados... perhaps 598+udac2 is the way to go...
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7590745
Post #14 of 36

bbophead

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
2,737
Reaction score
149
Location
La Grange, Texas
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Location
La Grange, Texas
Posts
2,737
Likes
149


Quote:
 
Actually, I rather disagree with you on that one. I don't know about the 325i but the GS-1000 definitely needs an amp. I used it with lehmann black cube linear I remember.. Just IMHO ofcourse, every has their own ears and such.. though my current setup is leagues better (also imho :p).

 

As I said, can't get them for 175$ here. For me they'll be around the same price, Senns slightly more expensive. It's good to know that udac2 can amp them both, thanks for that, I'm really leaning towards it, as it is also a dac. But I really did hate the harshness of the grados... perhaps 598+udac2 is the way to go...
 
Not to put too fine a point on it, but I wrote "special amps", not "amp".  I see you don't like Grados anyway so .... have fun.  I find your original post confusing now.
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7590755
Post #15 of 36

griffindy

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
33
Reaction score
10
Joined
May 24, 2011
Posts
33
Likes
10
I'll just post another plug for the Little Dot I+. I don't know how much it would cost to chip to Isreal, but it costs $105 USD, which is pretty darn cheap, and it sounds great. Great options on tube and op-amp rolling if you choose to do so.
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top