Need help deciding between headphones
Nov 29, 2008 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jinzouki

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone I'm new around here. I really need help deciding between the Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs the M-Audio Q40 vs the Equation RP21/RP22x. Mostly listen to Heavy Metal, Punk, Rock, Techno, Trance, House, and other genres on occasion. I am looking for the best pair of headphones that would really bring out the best sound quality in all these types of music and possibly to watch movies and play games as well but that's not as important as the music aspect.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to headphones so I really don't know which would be the best to get. All I know is that it must be closed and have decent isolation and minimal or preferably no leakage of sound. It would be a big plus also if the cable can be removable like with the RP21/22X and the Q40. What I have right now is a Skullcandy Lowriders so I know any of these would be a huge step up from what I have. I am looking to spend between $70-130 dollars on a pair of headphones.

I've seen these 3 headphones mentioned above attainable in that price range so I am sure I want one of these. I've already read so many positive things around here about these 3 and most of you seem to agree the Q40 is the best though I keep hearing about faulty cables, difficulty finding said cables, and maybe needing mods or amps to get the best out of the Q40.

Now which one of these would be the best for me? I'm mostly needing the sound quality, decent isolation, minimal (or no) leakage, and comfort. I'm also open to any suggestions keeping with the $130 dollars max budget. I plan to use this on my computer to listen to music and also my Cowon D2.

(note: edited from a while back)

Dec 15, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 9
Bump
atsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 9
If you listen to your music too loud and/or those near by are too close and/or the ambient noise level is too low, you will bother those around you with headphones. And so IEMs may be your best solution. Where will you be using these headphones, in a library? How loud will you be playing the music? How near by will others be? How loud will the ambient noise be, like a library or subway or what?

Dec 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 9
Well I'd say "comfortably loud". Like loud enough to hear music clearly and still be enjoyable. In Cowon D2 terms I'd say between 20-35 volume, depending on how loud the song is. I plan on using it most at home through the PC to listen to music, videos, and games. So sound clarity and quality is very important while still maintaining comfort of big full size headphones that go on/over the ear. I would want to travel with these but for public transportation I guess I'm alright with earphones, mostly like plane, train, or long bus rides in between cities/states. Mostly looking for a good deluxe full size headphones.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Just to add, I've pretty much narrowed my selection between the Q40 and the RP-21 just figuring out which is a much better pair of headphones. Also open to any suggestions of closed full sized headphones. I don't mind if its not isolated much, however I'd want the one that leaks less and reproduces sound more faithfully. I heard the RP-21 is a bit more bassy but I don't know which one's best for Rock, and random music in general.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinzouki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to add, I've pretty much narrowed my selection between the Q40 and the RP-21 just figuring out which is a much better pair of headphones. Also open to any suggestions of closed full sized headphones. I don't mind if its not isolated much, however I'd want the one that leaks less and reproduces sound more faithfully. I heard the RP-21 is a bit more bassy but I don't know which one's best for Rock, and random music in general.

FWIR between the Q40 and RP21, I would go for the Q40 and mod it with Beyer pads for more comfort.

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 9
That sounds good. I guess I'll go with the Q40. Before I make the purchase though, has anyone had any problems with theirs? I've read some guy over at amazon said one of his cups broke internally, and another guy in another forum said his plug-in cable broke after a month of use. I am just curious if they're sturdy before purchase. Maybe those guys just happened to get a lemon from the many Q40's manufactured. BTW 1Time, thanks for the suggestions/help
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinzouki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That sounds good. I guess I'll go with the Q40. Before I make the purchase though, has anyone had any problems with theirs? I've read some guy over at amazon said one of his cups broke internally, and another guy in another forum said his plug-in cable broke after a month of use. I am just curious if they're sturdy before purchase. Maybe those guys just happened to get a lemon from the many Q40's manufactured. BTW 1Time, thanks for the suggestions/help
biggrin.gif

FWIR, some Head-Fiers have had problems with their Q40. Here is a huge thread about the Q40, and you could search Head-Fi for "Q40" to read more about it. You're welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back