Need help choosing power amp and wires for future stereo setup...
Nov 1, 2012 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AdamFrandsen

Head-Fier
I just acquired myself the Burson Soloist, which I will be using with my HE-500 from the UD384+UPower off of the Vaunix USB HUB and my MacBook Pro with Audirvana. 

Now that I have such a good pre-amp, I am looking into investing in a full stereo setup. I have decided the following:

Speakers: Magnepan MMG's $599 a pair (4 ohms)

(Another option could be the Kef IQ90's ca. $800 a pair) (8 ohms)

With either:

Power amp opt. 1: Marantz MM7025 $799 - 140 watts @ 8 ohms (4 ohms ?)
Power amp opt. 2: Emotiva XPA-2 $799 - 300 watts @ 8 ohms and 500 watts @ 4 ohms

(Seems like the emotiva would be the obvious choice, but I am not sure...)

In terms of wires, I have looked at these, any thoughts?:

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3675

All input is greatly appreciated.

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 11
Yep. Best to verify the Marantz's 4 ohm stability to go with the Maggies. A Magnepan owner's thread somewhere could tell you for sure. 

Also, those Maggies don't have good low end bass response. They would definitely benefit from a sub. And a sub of decent quality to pair with them will cost as much or more than the Maggies. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 11
Is there then a better alternative to the Maggies around the same price point, but with decent bass response - nothing in the same league right!? Maybe I just would have to suffer that loss for a while...

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 11
Anyhow - this will have to wait until either I or my downstairs neighbor moves, he gets hysterical every time I play something - no matter what time of day - a real pain...

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Anyhow - this will have to wait until either I or my downstairs neighbor moves, he gets hysterical every time I play something - no matter what time of day - a real pain...

Might as well stick to a good set of headphones for the time being. 

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Great choice to stick with the Vaunix USB hub.  Seems to be the best one out there. It also seems to be the toughest high quality USB hub around.  http://vaunix.com/products/high-quality-usb-hub/overview.cfm

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Great choice to stick with the Vaunix USB hub.  Seems to be the best one out there. It also seems to be the toughest high quality USB hub around.  http://vaunix.com/products/high-quality-usb-hub/overview.cfm

So Dcody, I just ordered a Vaunix hub for my underpowered Hifiman ef2a and low ohm Senn 600's. So, how much does this unit affect the sound?

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
So Dcody, I just ordered a Vaunix hub for my underpowered Hifiman ef2a and low ohm Senn 600's. So, how much does this unit affect the sound?

I love mine, it has a major effect on both my already powered KingRex UD384 and with my Music Streamer II it severely improves the quality. More power, clearer sound. Have you gotten yours, what are your impressions? 

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 11
I'm noticing that I'm able to turn down my volume from 3 o'clock down to 12 on me EF2A. I believe that it now works at a natural proficiency level. I believe that the bass has smoothened out because of this. I must ask if the daisy chain of your unit flows in this order: computer>usb cable>Vaunix>usb cable>KingRex>?????>Music Streamer II>speakers or headphones?
Thanks again, I'd like to pick up a King Rex device if I can understand the missing link.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 11
I run two setups:

1)
Monster HTS 1600 PowerCenter -> Computer -> Vaunix USB HUB -> KingRex UD384 w. UPower -> Burson Soloist -> HifiMan HE-500

Adding to this system in the future a pair of Magnepan or Martin Logan speakers and a power amp - so a setup looking like :

Monster HTS 1600 PowerCenter -> Computer -> Vaunix USB HUB -> KingRex UD384 w. UPower -> Burson Soloist (Pre-amp section) -> Emotiva XPA-2  -> Speakers (ML ELS's or Maggies' MMG's/12's/1.7's)
(later a sub too...)

The Emotiva runs 500 watts @ 4 Ohm and 300 watts @ 8 Ohm - and it is on christmas sale now for $679 - but I have no money ;(

2)
Monster HTS 1600 PowerCenter -> Computer -> Vaunix USB HUB -> MusicStreamer II ->  HifiMan EF5 -> HifiMan HE-500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back