Need help Choosing my 1st good headphones
Feb 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

justinmonty

New Head-Fier
Hey guys well this is going to be the first time I purchase a good quality headphone! I was looking up quite a bit and I'm deciding to stick with an AKG model, however I'm not sure as to which I should get. I'll be using the headphones from anything from pc, to tv to gaming and ipods a lot, I do have an amp I can use at my house however for my ipod I was wondering which would have some good sound quality?!? I hear the k 701's need an amp so I was leaning towards the K 271 / 272 HD I'm not sure the differences between them except the prices :s! so please help me out THANKS.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 18
sorry guys I like a variety of music from metal,rock,acoustic,rap,techno,some classical price range i under 300$ around Thanks a lot! I'll be looking on ebay also maybe catch a good deal

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 18
oh alright do you reccomend any particular websites? and for where I'll be using well at school, walking, home! I any heavy activities I'll use my standard Ipod earbuds :s

If you reccomend any other models please share! Just I really like the AKG look

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Well since you're going to use them on the go, you definitely want something that isolates noise decently. Shure makes some great isolating headphones, but they tend to be weak on the bass. Sennheiser has the HD25-1 II which are made with portability in mind and have decent sound quality. Audio Technica has the M50 which also does a good job blocking out noise. 

I get my headphones from the for sale section here, or from Amazon.

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #11 of 18
M50 sounds great for your purpose, very versatile genre-wise, portable and has decent isolation.

Will only set you back about 120 bucks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/477843-REG/Audio_Technica_ATH_M50_ATH_M50_Professional_Closed_Back_Studio.html

AKG 601/701/702 wont be good for you as they're open backed headphones, meaning they will leak your music out so everyone around you will be able to hear it, and they let in all the sound from outside.  Open headphones should be used in a closed, quiet environment. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 18
I'm not familiar with the 601s, but the 701s are open headphones. Anything you listen to would leak out what you're playing and disrupt other people, while this happens you're also letting in more sound which means you have to turn up the volume to dangerous levels to hear appropriately. So you not only have that going against you, but the 701/702 are notoriously picky with what amps they play well with, I believe you need to spend at least $300 on a suitable amp to get the 701/702 to shine, that's using a desktop amp, I don't even think there's a portable amp to power the 701/702 decently. Lastly they are very cold in their sound, very analytical. Most people hate the sound they produce. They aren't "fun" headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back