Need help choosing headphone
Aug 2, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AzNDegree

New Head-Fier

Hello, I just registered so I can get help on choosing the right headphone for me.

Well I like a lot of music, but mostly dubstep/techno/house/pop.

I looked up an people said get Beats? But then I looked around and people said there are a lot better headphones out there for the price/or even less. So I want to get the best bang for the buck.

Can anyone suggest me one?

I want to keep my budget below $250, unless theres a good headphone close to that price for a bit higher.

I also want to be able to use on my iPod Touch 4G, atm I have Astro A40s + Mixamp for my laptop and its not ment for music, its ment for gaming... so yea.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 20
AudioTechnica's ATH M50s get recommended quite a bit around here, especially for your preferred genres of music. I have never heard them personally, so take that as you will...

They are also a good deal below your budget, leaving room for other purchases. I'm pretty new to this hobby as well, so I haven't really had a chance to explore the upper-end of the spectrum, but I am sure there are far better offerings around the $250 mark.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3 of 20
You can usually find a used-like new Denon D2000 around 190usd.  There's always DT770 Pro 80Ω around 180usd, and of course there's Denon D1100 and some of the Ultrasone models.  M50 might not have the sufficient amount of bass for your preferred  genres.

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 20
I see, so the M50 is more for an allround headphone
Also is it good for small heads? lol I have a really small head @_@

Also does it leak a lot of sound? I don't want it so that people can hear 

Aug 2, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 20
M50 shouldn't have any problems with being driven from laptop or ipod (I'm guessing on the iPod, never tried). You can fold it up, so you have the portability. Sound leakage should be minimal, if it's any good of an indicator, isolation is pretty good (at least was for me).
This would probably be your most portable solution, as somebody above mentioned, you can also get the Beyer DT770 although I think it's open. D2000 is closed but leaks a lot of sound. Ultrasones might be an option, HFI580 seems to get recommended a lot, but I haven't heard it (or maybe forgot how it sounds like).

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 20
Sony XB500 doesn't have good highs because the bass is so strong. The bass on the M50 is closer to neutral, something I would consider for mastering, not exactly listening to Dubstep with. Regardless of highs if you like to feel the deep end you'll enjoy the XB500 a heck of a lot more than the M50s. Other options for you are HFI-580/780, possibly Denon D2000.

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
Sony XB500 doesn't have good highs because the bass is so strong. The bass on the M50 is closer to neutral, something I would consider for mastering, not exactly listening to Dubstep with. Regardless of highs if you like to feel the deep end you'll enjoy the XB500 a heck of a lot more than the M50s. Other options for you are HFI-580/780, possibly Denon D2000.

Well you see that's a hard decision to make >_<
I like dubstep but I also listen to techno/pop

Aug 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 20
If you're gaming with it, the DT770 Pro-80 or the D2000 are good choices, as both cans have that big soundstage and big bass type of sound.

But I'm shocked at people saying the M50's don't have sufficient bass. I know they're marketed as a studio monitor, but I think it's waaaaay too bassy to be considered one, that's not a bad choice either, btw they have no soundstage and produce a very closed sound.

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #15 of 20
If you don't plan on gaming, then it's a good choice. Sorry, I didn't see that you have an A40.

Soundstage is the depth and positioning of sound I believe (hard to explain). Some people like a closed intimate sound stage, some like it in the middle, others like it airy. But I think the M50 is fine for the music you listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back