Need help choosing full size closed for 170€
Jun 7, 2016 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Arioch77

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Been using ATH-AD700 for some years now, which were my first "real" headphone, and love them. 
Owned a Meelec a151 but find IEM uncomfortable for long periods use.

Now i need advice to choose a closed over ear comfortable to use at home for watching tv/gaming and music without using the home theater/hifi system at home and for music/netflix while comuting and at work thus the need for a closed.

budget: max 170€/$200 (shipping incl) I would prefer new
source: Sansa clip+ / Samsung Galaxy Note 4/ portable computer / home cinema amp
without portable amp (for now)

I have eclectic  taste, to be more presice I listen mainly rock/metal but also to classical music / jazz / opera / pop and some electronic, rap and rnb....

I made some research and people seems to point to V-MODA M-100, NAD VISO HP50, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 (can find these at my budget), Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, Beyer DT770, Beyer Custom One Pro Plus and AKG K55? Pro (seems like i cant find the K553 in europe) but feel a little lost so I could use some advices.

So what would you guys reccomend (even other model i didn't think)?

Thanks in advance.

And sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 21
Do you have any particular sound signature requirements? What do you like and dislike about your ATH-AD700? That would help immensely in determining what headphones you should get.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 21
  Do you have any particular sound signature requirements? What do you like and dislike about your ATH-AD700? That would help immensely in determining what headphones you should get.

Don't know about sound signature.... if it could sound like the ad700 with a little bit more bass or maybe something more fun. I'm not a basshead.

about the ad700 :
pro: soundstage, details, how voices and instruments sound...

con: the wing system and the small lack of bass.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 21
  Hello,

Been using ATH-AD700 for some years now, which were my first "real" headphone, and love them. 
Owned a Meelec a151 but find IEM uncomfortable for long periods use.

Now i need advice to choose a closed over ear comfortable to use at home for watching tv/gaming and music without using the home theater/hifi system at home and for music/netflix while comuting and at work thus the need for a closed.

budget: max 170€/$200 (shipping incl) I would prefer new
source: Sansa clip+ / Samsung Galaxy Note 4/ portable computer / home cinema amp
without portable amp (for now)

I have eclectic  taste, to be more presice I listen mainly rock/metal but also to classical music / jazz / opera / pop and some electronic, rap and rnb....

I made some research and people seems to point to V-MODA CROSSFADE M-100, NAD VISO HP50, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 (can find these at my budget), Audio-Technica ATH-M50X, Beyer DT770, Beyer Custom One Pro Plus and AKG K55? Pro (seems like i cant find the K553 in europe) but feel a little lost so I could use some advices.

So what would you guys reccomend (even other model i didn't think)?

Thanks in advance.

And sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

The m100 is definitely bassy, significantly so. The HP50 is out of budget, though quite neutral and detailed. The Beyer DT770 is very peaky in the treble region, so you have to factor that in. The M50x is v-shaped. I haven't heard the COP. One more that you might check out is the SoundMAGIC HP150. It is largely neutral (very slightly v-shaped) and has a terrific soundstage--really good. Excellent value. Something to consider.

Jun 7, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 21

The m100 is definitely bassy, significantly so. The HP50 is out of budget, though quite neutral and detailed. The Beyer DT770 is very peaky in the treble region, so you have to factor that in. The M50x is v-shaped. I haven't heard the COP. One more that you might check out is the SoundMAGIC HP150. It is largely neutral (very slightly v-shaped) and has a terrific soundstage--really good. Excellent value. Something to consider.

The SoundMAGIC is out of budget here in europe, and the NAD Visio HP50 and the others i quoted in the first post are on budget....after searching on amazon.com their price are reversed here. The great mystery of currency change maybe ?

Thanks anyway for your advices

Jun 7, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 21
NAD HP50 worked well out of my Note 4 when I had that phone and would be easily driven to very loud volumes with the Sansa Clip. The HP50 is a somewhat warm, very natural sounding headphone with good bass, but not heavy bass. Soundstage is very good for a closed headphone. Definite step above MX50, IMO. I have K550 which is brighter and more mid centric than the HP50 to me. But I prefer the HP50. MSR7 I have not heard, but gather it would be brighter/colder in comparison to HP50.

Jun 8, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 21
  Don't know about sound signature.... if it could sound like the ad700 with a little bit more bass or maybe something more fun. I'm not a basshead.

about the ad700 :
pro: soundstage, details, how voices and instruments sound...

con: the wing system and the small lack of bass.

In that case, I'd go for the NAD Viso HP50. Excellent sound quality for the price and IMO the best headphone of the ones you listed.

Jun 8, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 21
The HP50's are really nice but would not fit my head. They are the only ones I have tried that would not. I don't think I have a very big head but the bottom of the pads would not touch. I had to put them to there outmost adjustment to get them to seal and the headband was like two inches off of my head. I don't know if it was the pair I got as no other headphone have I had a problem with.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 21
Thanks for all the advices, juste ordered the NAD HP50

Quote:
The HP50's are really nice but would not fit my head. They are the only ones I have tried that would not. I don't think I have a very big head but the bottom of the pads would not touch. I had to put them to there outmost adjustment to get them to seal and the headband was like two inches off of my head. I don't know if it was the pair I got as no other headphone have I had a problem with.

Yeah saw that on the Nad HP50 thread..... ordered from a site with easy RMA just in case, if it's umcofortable will test the "shock cord mod" if it stay the same will return it and come back for more advices.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for the warning. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 21
Yeah saw that on the Nad HP50 thread..... ordered from a site with easy RMA just in case, if it's umcofortable will test the "shock cord mod" if it stay the same will return it and come back for more advices.

Anyway, Thanks a lot for the warning. 
Hope they work for you because they do sound good and fairly cheap and real easy to drive.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 21
OK make fun of the guy with the Stewie head. Your mom must be proud. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #14 of 21
Received the NAD hp50 today, used it 2h and no problem so it should be good.

Thanks a lot for all the advices guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back