Need help choosing first decent headphone
Oct 14, 2014 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Walnut

New Head-Fier
So, I've been using a HD202 for a while and I do like it's sound signature, however I feel it's quite muddy as in the mids feel recessed/congested.
I got an opportunity to buy a new headphone outside my country (way too expensive), I can't really try them, so it's going to be a blind buy.
Here is what I found I like about the HD202: sound feels full and not fatiguing at all (however I think if it had any more bass I would get fatigue from it)
I don't like it's clarity (sometimes I feel like everything is thrown together), soundstage, and vocals seems to be on the background.

I listen mainly to Classical and Pop music (really like female vocals).
Here are my options:
HD 598                 EUR 170
DT 880 (600ohm)   EUR 235
Momentum            EUR 240 (I know it's closed and can't really be compared, but seems to be a direct upgrade to the hd202)

If I bought the DT880 I would get the Fiio E9, my main concern with it is that some people say it's too cold, sounds thin (which isn't something I believe I'll like), and some people get fatigue from it (I can't stand violins for a long time on my hd202), however I've also read that the HD 598 are bright just as the DT880.

Considering this is my first real headphone purchase and I've not heard anything else, what would be the best buy considering price and stuff?

Thanks!

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 8
The DT 880 is a former flagship and the best can on your list.  However, you have to be OK with a bright can.  In addition I have no idea whether the Fiio will properly power the 600 Ohm version.  The 250 Ohm version is almost as good.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_DT880

The HD 598 is also a quality choice, delivering the velvety smooth Senn veil.  It is much easier to drive.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #4 of 8
I second KG Jag's advice. I've had a chance to audition both the HD598 and DT880, and they both have the soundstage...very comfortable as well. Female vocals sounded nice on the DT880 (unlike its little brother DT770), but it felt like the bass and treble were boosted relative to the mids. Not exactly a bad thing, I thought the bass on the DT880 was a treat, and the treble (which might be a bit much at times) makes them appear more clear and detailed. I found the HD598 to have a mid-centered sound and excel with female vocals. Personally I think the 598s are not bright at all and alongside the HD650 and Shure SE215, have the smoothest and non-sibilant treble I have heard. The 598's bass was inferior to that of the DT880 though - which I'm assuming is partly due to the 598 having the edge in soundstage and that the DT880's bass is more well extended.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 8
  I second KG Jag's advice. I've had a chance to audition both the HD598 and DT880, and they both have the soundstage...very comfortable as well. Female vocals sounded nice on the DT880 (unlike its little brother DT770), but it felt like the bass and treble were boosted relative to the mids. Not exactly a bad thing, I thought the bass on the DT880 was a treat, and the treble (which might be a bit much at times) makes them appear more clear and detailed. I found the HD598 to have a mid-centered sound and excel with female vocals. Personally I think the 598s are not bright at all and alongside the HD650 and Shure SE215, have the smoothest and non-sibilant treble I have heard. The 598's bass was inferior to that of the DT880 though - which I'm assuming is partly due to the 598 having the edge in soundstage and that the DT880's bass is more well extended.

Saw that you tested the HD598 with JPOP, could you compare it with the DT880? Still think the Beyer's have the edge? I am asking because some people say that this type of music is too sibilant and since DT880 is bright it may not sound good.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 8
  Saw that you tested the HD598 with JPOP, could you compare it with the DT880? Still think the Beyer's have the edge? I am asking because some people say that this type of music is too sibilant and since DT880 is bright it may not sound good.

I tried both with JPop; personally for female vocals alone, I think the HD598 has the edge due to its smooth treble, spacious soundstage yet mid-centric sound that emphasizes the vocals. I find the DT880's brightness and wide soundstage to be an odd combination for JPop (yea the genre does have a brighter sound), so for that I prefer the 598. Not saying the DT880 is a poor performer though, it was good with the genre too - it was decent with vocal; did not find it to be particularly sibilant (but I'm used to Grado brightness) and the bass was more satisfying. I haven't tried either with classical so I can't comment on that, but reviews point that the DT880 are good all-rounders. Maybe someone can chime in on how both perform with classical

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #7 of 8

Any chance you could get the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones?
Only 40-Ohms, so using a headphone amplifier is optional. 

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 8

Any chance you could get the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones?
Only 40-Ohms, so using a headphone amplifier is optional. 

What sources are you plugging the headphones into?

They cost EUR 299, do you think they outperform the amped beyer's? Right now my headphones are directly on my computer. Which one is the better all-rounder?
When comparing graphs of my HD202 vs DT880, the Senn's are more recessed in mids, so I may not think the beyer's are recessed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back