need help choosing (dt880, 770, k400??)
Dec 2, 2008 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Miskari

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm still in the process of deciding what i should get been swinging back and forth from a lot of different cans so heres what i've come to so far:

DT880, DT770 or AKG K400 (how hard are these to drive?).

I listen to just about everything (stuff like: Infected Mushroom,armin van buuren, Duran Duran, Bob Marley, Cold Play, Phil Collins and Jpop and rock). Ill be using them mainly for music but also movies and games. But mostly im looking for something that will really let me enjoy the music (and i cant emphasize this enough!). wanna stay around the $150 range and will probably get an amp in a couple months.

I'm a noob so any other options are welcome.

Thanks!
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miskari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I'm still in the process of deciding what i should get been swinging back and forth from a lot of different cans so heres what i've come to so far:

DT880, DT770 or AKG K400 (how hard are these to drive?).

I listen to just about everything (stuff like: Infected Mushroom,armin van buuren, Duran Duran, Bob Marley, Cold Play, Phil Collins and Jpop and rock). Ill be using them mainly for music but also movies and games. But mostly im looking for something that will really let me enjoy the music (and i cant emphasize this enough!). wanna stay around the $150 range and will probably get an amp in a couple months.

I'm a noob so any other options are welcome.

Thanks!
smile.gif

If you are a n00b I'll advise you to stay away from the DT880 as they are not easy to drive and their sound is not for everyone, many will find them too analytical or too bright. The DT770 is not exactly a good value for money. The K400 is not bad really, and not that hard to drive. But I'll advise you to get the AD700 instead, they suit the type of music you listen to and does a great job for games and movies.

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 4
looked into the AD700s and apparently they dont have good build quality (creaking and such). while the soundstage is huge it lacks bass so it won't be that great for the more bassy(?) music i listen to nor for games or movies. lastly it has huge leackage of noise which may be bothersome. Any other suggestions?

e: wow just read a review over at Headphonic, seems the bass isn't bad.....this is so damn confusing!

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 4
The K400 has a lightweight soundsignature, best suited for acoustic and the like.
They are not so good with rock and pop.
I disagree with scytheavatar about the DT770, not being good value for money. The DT770 2005 consumer edition is an exellent headphone for your type of music. But they need an amp.
The DT770 Pro 80 ohm is easier to drive, but is very bass heavy, and overall not as good as the consumer edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back