Need HELP choosing cans- ATH-ESW9, ATH-ES10, Beyer DT770/ 32ohm, Focal Spirit One S
May 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mackcd

Head-Fier
I am looking for a portable-ish headphone that is versatile, and I've narrowed my search to ATH- esw9, es10, DT-770 32 ohm, and Focal Spirit One S. Recommendations are always appreciated, as well!

I listen to a variety of music- Steely Dan, Eagles, Daft Punk, Chromeo, Porter Robinson, Queen, Sam Smith, and instrumental- but I wont have an amp, at least for a while (driven off Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab4, Macbook Pro). I currently have Senn. HD 380 Pro's, but I am looking for something with a little more bass and oomph. Something a little more full sounding.

I've done as much research as I can without actually giving them a test run. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would one of them, if any, meet my needs? 

Thank You!

May 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 11
  I am looking for a portable-ish headphone that is versatile, and I've narrowed my search to ATH- esw9, es10, DT-770 32 ohm, and Focal Spirit One S. Recommendations are always appreciated, as well!
I listen to a variety of music- Steely Dan, Eagles, Daft Punk, Chromeo, Porter Robinson, Queen, Sam Smith, and instrumental- but I wont have an amp, at least for a while (driven off Galaxy S4, Galaxy Tab4, Macbook Pro). I currently have Senn. HD 380 Pro's, but I am looking for something with a little more bass and oomph. Something a little more full sounding.
I've done as much research as I can without actually giving them a test run. Does anyone have any experience with these? Would one of them, if any, meet my needs? 

I own the ATH-ESW9 and I'm happy with the sound quality.

May 21, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 11

I own the ATH-ESW9 and I'm happy with the sound quality.

I feel like that's the general consensus with those.
Do you use an amp or just your phone/ computer? Do you find the warmth to make them too fun and inaccurate? Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the isolation and seal on those. Do you feel like it affects the bass or makes it thin?
Sorry, also do you find it falls short in a certain genre of music?
Thanks!

May 21, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 11
  I feel like that's the general consensus with those.
Do you use an amp or just your phone/ computer? Do you find the warmth to make them too fun and inaccurate? Also, I've heard mixed reviews about the isolation and seal on those. Do you feel like it affects the bass or makes it thin?
Sorry, also do you find it falls short in a certain genre of music?
Thanks!

I plug the ATH-ESW9 straight into my Sony E474 Walkman.
Does not block a lot of noise, nor does it have a tight seal, but it works well enough for me.
My ATH-WS99s have more bass, but at the slight cost of audio quality.

May 21, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 11
I just tried on a DT770. I can't compare the sound with any other other than to say that I really liked it. I can, however, attest to the comfort: Fantastic. A good choice if you intend to have them on your head for hours on end.

May 21, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 11
I just tried on a DT770. I can't compare the sound with any other other than to say that I really liked it. I can, however, attest to the comfort: Fantastic. A good choice if you intend to have them on your head for hours on end.

For me, I'm first looking for sound, then comfort, and lastly aesthetics. I've tried those very briefly, but they pressed against my jaw a little. Do you think they're more comfortable than the supra-aurals? The sound was good from what I remember, a tad bass heavy, perhaps?

May 21, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 11
I didn't find it bass heavy, perhaps because I was enjoying rediscovering bass in classical music that I don't often hear. Perhaps if I listened to more bass heavy music it would get to me...

May 21, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 11
True, true. Thanks for the input! I'll have to try them again. But I need something to compare them to :/

Yeah, that's a real problem. There's nothing like being able to try them and compare with with others. And it takes time: when I tried on the 770 today, I think I was at the store for 45 minutes. If they had had any other models for me to try on (I'd like to try a Senn Momentum, a DT 250, and a Shure SRH 840), I can imagine being there for hours. 

May 21, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, that's a real problem. There's nothing like being able to try them and compare with with others. And it takes time: when I tried on the 770 today, I think I was at the store for 45 minutes. If they had had any other models for me to try on (I'd like to try a Senn Momentum, a DT 250, and a Shure SRH 840), I can imagine being there for hours. 

Exactly, same here.
I went to best buy the other day to try some out... all they carry is Beats, Bose, and Monster. It's a shame there isn't anywhere to really try headphones out. Hence, this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back