need help choosing between these good cheap iems
Nov 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

myaa02

New Head-Fier
okay,well my budget is $25 and I found the JVC FX66 on sale for 24.99 and the V-MODA Bass Freq on ebay for 24.99 w/ shipping .. right now i have the JVC FX33 and I enjoy them, but I need something way better.

Can you guys tell me the pros and cons of both and compare them, because I have no idea which is better , Thanks.

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 13
I don't know pros and cons, but i would definitely go with the V-moda's because they have EXCELLENT reviews.

I might get a pair myself for snowboarding... I would be too scared to take X10's :p

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 13
I've owned both. I actually liked my FX33 better than both the FX66 and Bass Freq. The FX66 is similar, and you might like it a bit better, but not a huge difference either way. The Bass Freq can be fun, because of the enormous bass, but that comes at the expense of any sort of detail. It's like throwing some big subs and an amp in a car, but leaving everything else stock.

Might I suggest the Soundmagic PL-30? Easily aquired for around $25 shipped, and worlds better those others.

Nov 23, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned both. I actually liked my FX33 better than both the FX66 and Bass Freq. The FX66 is similar, and you might like it a bit better, but not a huge difference either way. The Bass Freq can be fun, because of the enormous bass, but that comes at the expense of any sort of detail. It's like throwing some big subs and an amp in a car, but leaving everything else stock.

Might I suggest the Soundmagic PL-30? Easily aquired for around $25 shipped, and worlds better those others.

well, what do you use the most ? and I really like bass lol , I listen to hip-hop, rap and rnb , so is the bass freq right for me ?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by myaa02 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, what do you use the most ? and I really like bass lol , I listen to hip-hop, rap and rnb , so is the bass freq right for me ?

Once I heard the PL-30, I can never go back to the others. But if you must have overwhelming bass, I'd say go with the Bass Freq. Another option would be these Soundmagic PL-20 which are $15. I have not tried them, but the PL-30 and the PL-12 are definately a cut above the Bass Freq in my opinion.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I've owned fx33's (kramer mod), cx300's, denon c551's, c700's, recently tried and given away pl-30's ( couldn't keep a seal ) and still own fx66's because of their comfort.
The pl-30's are definitely a step up from the fx33's, but the bass is nowhere close to the marshmallows even when I got a good seal. I've never tried the V-Modas, but from what I've read their overall sound quality is lacking compared to the others.
For $25. you're not going to find anything way better than the marshmallows that also has lots of bass. My advice is to save up and buy a pair of denon c551. They have great bass and are a big step up in sound.
Your other alternative in your price range is a pair of Koss KSC75's. These clip on your ear, but ARE way better than the fx33's.

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once I heard the PL-30, I can never go back to the others. But if you must have overwhelming bass, I'd say go with the Bass Freq. Another option would be these Soundmagic PL-20 which are $15. I have not tried them, but the PL-30 and the PL-12 are definately a cut above the Bass Freq in my opinion.

I was considering the PL-30s , but they really look UGLY to me
confused_face.gif
, looks cheap w/ that grey plastic casing on it .. can you take a picture of yours ? cuz the stock photos dont look great to me ,

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned fx33's (kramer mod), cx300's, denon c551's, c700's, recently tried and given away pl-30's ( couldn't keep a seal ) and still own fx66's because of their comfort.
The pl-30's are definitely a step up from the fx33's, but the bass is nowhere close to the marshmallows even when I got a good seal. I've never tried the V-Modas, but from what I've read their overall sound quality is lacking compared to the others.
For $25. you're not going to find anything way better than the marshmallows that also has lots of bass. My advice is to save up and buy a pair of denon c551. They have great bass and are a big step up in sound.
Your other alternative in your price range is a pair of Koss KSC75's. These clip on your ear, but ARE way better than the fx33's.

where can i get the Denon's for like 40 dollars ? or maybe even 50 ?

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 13
If you live in the US you can order them from Amazon.com for 55.99 + shipping.
I live in Canada and ordered them from this seller on eBay:

Denon AHC551K AH-C551 In-Ear Headphones Earphones BLACK - (eBay.ca item 380078419550 end time 03-Dec-08 14:03:30 EST)

If you're in the US and have or can set up a paypal account you can get a 25% discount from eBay by doing the following:
Type Live.com into the google search bar. When there, type bodum or kitchen knives into the live.com search bar. The first result will show 25% discount for eBay, click on that and it will take you to eBay. The live.com logo with the 25% discount should be at the top of the page. Now do a search for Denon or AH-C551. You only get the discount by purchasing through the "buy it now" option. Make sure the discount logo is at the top of the page when you make your purchase. Once you pay for it eBay will send you a message in your eBay account saying you have a discount. Click on that and you will set up a live.com account. It takes a couple of days then it will show on your live.com account that you will be getting a cashback in approx. 6 weeks. You pay full price initially then 6 weeks later the discount amount will be deposited in your Paypal account, which you must have to get a discount.

Nov 24, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Humm VMODA have excellent reviews initially, but they dont have the best reliability post review by alot of users. Just make sure to get the right angled plug that is more durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back