need help choosing an Interconnect and a Y-link subwoofer cable for my setup please
Nov 1, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #31 of 36
Nov 1, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #32 of 36
So it's agreed that in the range of $1500-$2000 the JL E112 will out perform the REL subs yes ? And guys don't get so worked up it's all a good debate and sharing information plus helping a noob (me) out I will put some blues cables for the sub because I don't think it will matter much but will put a nice $500 or less cable on the interconnects.

Yes, the JL E112 will definitely outperform the equivalent REL by a substantial margin. The measurements are available to support that. The SVS sub listed above is also worth consideration. Just a little less output than the JL but also less expensive.

Edit: AVS forums is a good place to discuss speakers and subwoofers. And correction after noticing the SVS was the SB and not PB

Nov 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #33 of 36
  I didn't know those existed, is there a down side to woofers like that ?

my preference for a woofer in order of preference is;

1.) Sound Quality
2.) Price, it would be great to have it at max $1500 but I can stretch to $2000 if they are of legendary status (like the LS50's)
3.) Size, the smaller the better

They of course exist:)
There are actually ones with 8 inputs to handle LFE in surround systems. 

Not sure of any inherent downside of that feature from a technical view point, maybe adds up cost?

You might want to look at studio monitor woofers if you would like that, as multi channel inputs is ubiquitous among them, though many don't look very refined (i.e. no "High Gloss Piano Black Finish" to match your LS50)

1)It is hard to say much about woofer SQ, as LS50 cuts off pretty low already and the sub woofing range below that depends so much on the room(is it designed & built & treated for full range audio playback?) and we as human don't quite perceive that range as 'pleasurable' nor do we have much ability to perceive even note differences there. Personal preference is also different, some enjoys in the face punchy while others would like fast and tight (though I believe that neither is referring to the real deep ranges (around 30hz))

2) SVS might fit the bill.

3) That is right, even moderate (8 or even 6.5 in ones) woofers in typical rooms are certainly introducing a lot more problems than solving. But it is likely not an issue in terms of deploying one, you can always turn it off if you felt that it is doing damage to your experience rather than enhancing it:)

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #34 of 36
Hey thanks a lot for everything, sorry I didn't reply sooner I've been stuck at work.

learnt a lot and got a few good ideas from this thread.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #35 of 36
Hey thanks a lot for everything, sorry I didn't reply sooner I've been stuck at work.

learnt a lot and got a few good ideas from this thread.

Just be wary of some of the advice you got, like this from Shaffer:

Simple answer, you need to go listen and see which you prefer.

Subs can be measured, and that's going to tell you more than "listening" tests like he describes since sub performance is tied to the room acoustics. So understand the science can do what you need, even though you can't demo them. Lots can be learned by going over to AVS like bfreedma mentioned. They have a subwoofer forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/. Lot of the serious subwoofer enthusiasts over there to teach you :)

In fact, start a new thread there, provide the information in this post: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/989316-want-advice-what-sub-purchase-please-read-before-posting.html#post13027422. Let 'em know, too, that you have to order internationally. They can tell you how to optimize spending your money for your performance needs :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #36 of 36
Will do Cel, Thanks
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back