need help choosing an Interconnect and a Y-link subwoofer cable for my setup please
Oct 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 36
What I wanted to do was connect 2 ends of the y cable to left and right channels on my Burson conductor DAC/amp, and then the other single end to the woofer. This was actually suggested to my by the guys at Burson. Now all equipment in this formula is expensive so I hope nothing will get damaged.

The Burson people must have mis-understood  your question.
No it won't damage your equipment, but it will hurt your audio quality.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #19 of 36

There is no need to spend that much.  The recommendations for Bluejeans was a good one.  Save the money on cables and add it to your subwoofer budget.

If you're looking for a high performance sub with a small form factor and top of the line fit and finish, give the JL Fathom line some consideration.  I had multiple REL subs and none of them are in the same class, or even close, to the F113.  The RELs are nice, but they dramatically and measurably outperformed by the JL.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #20 of 36
If you're looking for a high performance sub with a small form factor and top of the line fit and finish, give the JL Fathom line some consideration.  I had multiple REL subs and none of them are in the same class, or even close, to the F113.  The RELs are nice, but they dramatically and measurably outperformed by the JL.

A $4,000 sub performs better than the $1500 the OP would prefer to spend? Shocking. Similarly, the subwoofer that's built into my house makes the JL sound like a tinker toy, but you didn't see that option recommended to the OP, right? lol

Nov 1, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 36
A $4,000 sub performs better than the $1500 the OP would prefer to spend? Shocking. Similarly, the subwoofer that's built into my house makes the JL sound like a tinker toy, but you didn't see that option recommended to the OP, right? lol

I have no doubt that given unlimited WAF and size, the JL can be beaten but not everyone is looking for a refrigerator sized sub or wants a built in, so I'm not sure why you brought that up (other than the cheap  shot "tinker toy" reference).  JL also makes two other lines of subwoofers for considerably less cost than the Fathom series.  You also seem to ignore that I suggested that the OP add the $900 he proposed spending on a cable to his $1500 - $2000 sub price range, which puts the F112 or F113 within his reach.  Or he could go with the "E" series and stay with his original budget.

I've owned a Stentor which is approximately the same price as the F113 and it was simply no contest.  The REL was entirely outclassed by the JL.  Also owned a Strata III and Storm - both nice subs but both not close in performance to the equivalently priced JL (or SVS, or almost any other current sub in that price range)

The JLs can also be had at a significant discount over MSRP, so something else for the OP to be aware of. 

Not sure why you got so spun up over another recommendation, but given that REL and JL have subs in comparable price classes, it seemed appropriate to point out that in each class, the JLs are significantly better performers than the REL equivalent.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #22 of 36
You also seem to ignore that I suggested that the OP add the $900 he proposed spending on a cable to his $1500 - $2000 sub price range, which puts the F112 or F113 within his reach.

I didn't know those existed, is there a down side to woofers like that ?

my preference for a woofer in order of preference is;

1.) Sound Quality
2.) Price, it would be great to have it at max $1500 but I can stretch to $2000 if they are of legendary status (like the LS50's)
3.) Size, the smaller the better

I brought up a house sub, which BTW dwarfs a refrigerator, because it's as relevant to the OP's needs as a F113. Don't get me wrong; I don't really care what you recommend, as long as you stop trolling me. Some of what was said is a bit silly, like comparing a REL to a SVS fart cannon - bought and returned. The OP's question was answered on point. Not interested in a debate. You proposed other options. The Blue Jeans cable said it all.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #23 of 36
You also seem to ignore that I suggested that the OP add the $900 he proposed spending on a cable to his $1500 - $2000 sub price range, which puts the F112 or F113 within his reach.

I didn't know those existed, is there a down side to woofers like that ?

my preference for a woofer in order of preference is;

1.) Sound Quality
2.) Price, it would be great to have it at max $1500 but I can stretch to $2000 if they are of legendary status (like the LS50's)
3.) Size, the smaller the better

I brought up a house sub, which BTW dwarfs a refrigerator, because it's as relevant to the OP's needs as a F113. Don't get me wrong; I don't really care what you recommend, as long as you stop trolling me. Some of what was said is a bit silly, like comparing a REL to a SVS fart cannon - bought and returned. The OP's question was answered on point. Not interested in a debate. You proposed other options. The Blue Jeans cable said it all.

You seem more interested in supporting your purchasing decisions than helping the OP. The JL E series meets every one of his criteria, sound, size and price. I've owned both the JL and REL subs. Both subjectively and objectively from manufacturers specs and both personal and manufacturers measurements, the JL is a significantly better performer. If you have data that suggests that isn't true, you should post it.

Interesting that you consider someone with a different opinion than yours on an open forum as trolling you and that once you've posted your opinion, nothing else needs be stated.

Care to be specific about why you think "Blue Jeans cable says it all"? Are you seriously suggesting that the OP will find more SQ value in a $900 cable vs. a BJC cable that will sound exactly the same and allow him to put the money into a better sub?

As to the SVS, you either haven't heard it or don't know how to properly EQ a sub.

The OP can compare the specs and objective measurements of the REL (once you actually specify a model) and the JL E112. It should be painfully obvious that the JL is the superior sub.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #25 of 36
What purchase? I don't own a REL and never have, but have sure demo'd more than my share. Please leave me out of this mess.

Wait - you're recommending for a REL and against a JL and haven't owned either?  Nor compared them in the same listening environment?  How could you possibly be coming to any conclusions, let alone making recommendations?

I've owned both and listened to and measured both in the same room with the same electronics (and cables, not that they matter).  I think we should bring this to a close now.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #26 of 36
Wait - you're recommending for a REL and against a JL and haven't owned either?  Nor compared them the same listening environment?  How could you possibly be coming to any conclusions, let alone making recommendations?

I'm familiar with the REL line and recommended a product in the OP's price range. The only conclusion I stated is that your recommendation costs more than twice as much as he's looking to spend.

I've owned both and listened to and measured both in the same room with the same electronics (and cables, not that they matter).  I think we should bring this to a close now.

Agreed. When the OP can spend $4K and not $1500-$2000 the topic can be revisited.

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #27 of 36
I'm familiar with the REL line and recommended a product in the OP's price range. The only conclusion I stated is that your recommendation costs more than twice as much as he's looking to spend.
Agreed. When the OP can spend $4K and not $1500-$2000 the topic can be revisited.

You keep ignoring the fact that the JL E series is easily within the OPs price range.

This will be my last response to you, so I'll keep it brief and concise:  We are discussing/recommending two brands of subwoofers to the OP - REL and JL

You have not owned a single model or measured a single model of either brand

I have owned and measured multiple models of both brands.

The OP can decide how to value those recommendations.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #28 of 36
So it's agreed that in the range of $1500-$2000

the JL E112 will out perform the REL subs yes ?

And guys don't get so worked up it's all a good debate and sharing information plus helping a noob (me) out
beerchug.gif

I will put some blues cables for the sub because I don't think it will matter much but will put a nice $500 or less cable on the interconnects.

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #30 of 36
Simple answer, you need to go listen and see which you prefer.

I live in the UAE brother, this place is an Audiophile black hole.

Nothing out here no chance to demo said units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back