need help choosing an Interconnect and a Y-link subwoofer cable for my setup please
Oct 30, 2015 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

slair76116

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm not an audiophile and my knowledge in the field is very limited, I've built my setup on research and guidance from members in this forum. I need some advise again to buy a woofer and upgrade my cables.

I need help to figure out;
a good interconnect (Budget $500)
Y-link subwoofer cable (Budget $500)
And a good sub woofer (Budget $1500-2000)

Current setup
Burson Audio Virtuoso > Generic Interconnects > Burson Timekeeper > Kimber 12TC speaker cables > KEF LS50 speakers.

Would you also recommend that I invest in a good power source for the above mentioned gear ? I have no idea if conditioned power boxes or bars would affect the sound.

Thanks a lot
Rgds
D

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 36
For long sub-woofer RCA interconnect cables, the best choice is the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1.

What will you use the Y-link (wye) for?
Two outputs into one input won't work.
For one output to two inputs, BJC might have an adapter.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 36
Personally, I like Cardas Clear interconnects. You should be able to find a pair on Audiogon that's in your price range.

The subwoofer cable is not as crucial, IME. I'd look for a factory refurb on ebay, which is how I bought mine. A $450 cable for $40 shipped.

Given your system, I'd take a look at REL subs. Good luck.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 36
I was told that I can use the two cables connected to my Burson virtuoso dac/amp the other one side end to my woofer

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 36
Wye-connectors (or "Y"-connectors, if you prefer) should never have been created.

Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results.

The above was from this paper:

Why Not Wye?

Dennis Bohn, Rane Corporation
RaneNote 109 written 1991; last revised 4/04

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 36
Wye-connectors (or "Y"-connectors, if you prefer) should never have been created.

Anything that can be hooked-up wrong, will be. You-know-who said that, and she was right. A wye-connector used to split a signal into two lines is being used properly; a wye-connector used to mix two signals into one is being abused and may even damage the equipment involved.

Here is the rule: Outputs are low impedance and must only be connected to high impedance inputs -- never, never tie two outputs directly together -- never. If you do, then each output tries to drive the very low impedance of the other, forcing both outputs into current-limit and possible damage. As a minimum, severe signal loss results.

[...]

This is in reference to two separate outputs from two separate sources, not summing a stereo signal, which has been done since the inversion of 2-channel sound.

I was told that I can use the two cables connected to my Burson virtuoso dac/amp the other one side end to my woofer

You can certainly do that. It's just that some low-end information is recorded in stereo, not often, and using a single channel to drive a sub may not always be optimal.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 36
This is in reference to two separate outputs from two separate sources, not summing a stereo signal, which has been done since the inversion of 2-channel sound.
You can certainly do that. It's just that some low-end information is recorded in stereo, not often, and using a single channel to drive a sub may not always be optimal.

The two separate sources can be the Left channel output and the Right channel output.
While it's been done over and over (I have done it) it's still wrong. Each output drives the other low impedance output rather than a high impedance input.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 36
The two separate sources can be the Left channel output and the Right channel output.

Same source, same electrical constraints.

While it's been done over and over (I have done it) it's still wrong. Each output drives the other low impedance output rather than a high impedance input.

What?

I'm out. Please feel free to help the OP.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 36
What I wanted to do was connect 2 ends of the y cable to left and right channels on my Burson conductor DAC/amp, and then the other single end to the woofer.

This was actually suggested to my by the guys at Burson. Now all equipment in this formula is expensive so I hope nothing will get damaged.

Can some one help me with this please;

a good interconnect (Budget $500)
Y-link subwoofer cable (Budget $500)
And a good sub woofer (Budget $1500-2000)

Current setup
Burson Audio Virtuoso > Generic Interconnects > Burson Timekeeper > Kimber 12TC speaker cables > KEF LS50 speakers.

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #11 of 36
IIRC, I answered your questions earlier in the thread. The reply was not satisfactory?

Not at all I'm sorry I didn't see your post, Thank you very much.

Other than AudioGon is this a good place to buy used cables ?

http://www.usedcables.com/

If any one else has more suggestions much welcomed I'll look into all and read into it before I buy, Thanks again to all!!!

Oct 31, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 36
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 36
I didn't know those existed, is there a down side to woofers like that ?

my preference for a woofer in order of preference is;

1.) Sound Quality
2.) Price, it would be great to have it at max $1500 but I can stretch to $2000 if they are of legendary status (like the LS50's)
3.) Size, the smaller the better

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 36
I didn't know those existed, is there a down side to woofers like that ?

my preference for a woofer in order of preference is;

1.) Sound Quality
2.) Price, it would be great to have it at max $1500 but I can stretch to $2000 if they are of legendary status (like the LS50's)
3.) Size, the smaller the better

As I suggested, take a look at REL. Legendary status and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back