Need help choosing an amp
Mar 30, 2012 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tals

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys :)
So I just bought a Senn HD598, with it bought a Traktor Audio 2 DAC (96k\24bit). The sound IS better, but i just hear too much distortion [size=x-small]when I crank up the volume. So I decided I would buy an amp (Will that make a difference?). I am going to buy (in the future) a pair of K702, HD650\HD600, and maybe a 242HD or a 272HD. I want a good amp that can move cans like the K702 and the HD650... Listening to pop/rock/r&b, etc (Beyonce, Shakira, Demi Lovato, stuff like that), and some vocal-full songs like Adele. All from CDs at 320kbps from itunes.[/size]
[size=x-small]I want a good amp, that will connect to my DAC (which has only 2 headphones out (1/4 inch) and a USB in. It came with 1/4 inch to red and white thingy converter... If it helps[/size]
[size=x-small]I want it to be as cheap as it can be but still to be good.[/size]
[size=x-small]Up to about $250.[/size]
[size=x-small]Also, is my DAC any good, or is it worth trying to return it and buy a dac-preamp-amp combo like the NuForce U-dac 2?[/size]
[size=x-small]Thanks alot in advance :)[/size]

Mar 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 9
The hd598's which I've owned did not need/like any amping to bring them to their full potential. I listened to them mostly from a fiio e10 on low gain, no bass boost. Now the hd6xx series is a different animal all together. In your price range you might consider the audio gd nfb-12.

good luck!!

Mar 31, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 9
At $169 the Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp has worked as a great entry level amp (with a DAC) driving HD 600, AKG Q701 and especially Denon D2000, D5000 & D7000.

It has plenty of power (you don't need much anyway).  My only concern is whether this hybrid would make your 598's a bit too bright for your taste.

Mar 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
At $169 the Hi-Fi Man EF2A Tube USB DAC Headphone Amp has worked as a great entry level amp (with a DAC) driving HD 600, AKG Q701 and especially Denon D2000, D5000 & D7000.

It has plenty of power (you don't need much anyway).  My only concern is whether this hybrid would make your 598's a bit too bright for your taste.

Hey, thanks for the reccommendation :) Ill take a look at that. While I do that, tell me, what do you think about the NuForce Udac 2? How is it compared to the hifiman ef2a? Thanks :)

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reccommendation :) Ill take a look at that. While I do that, tell me, what do you think about the NuForce Udac 2? How is it compared to the hifiman ef2a? Thanks :)

I have had the EF2A for only about a week or so.  It is my only dedicated headphone amp--I have vintage 1970's receivers, Yamaha Adventage A/V receiver and two CD players and/or recorder with built-in headphone amps to drive cans.

So I can't tell you how the EF2A compares with other headphone amps.  I am still burning in the stock tubes (which have become less bright--a good thing) and have not bought or used any other tubes.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
My Traktor AUDIO 2 serves as a DAC only, it has no amping. Is it a real DAC, when it has only USB in and a headphone out?

Yes--or so I understand (I am far from an expert).  There is a selection button between the RCA in (called "CD") and the USB in.

For more see:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433150/review-head-direct-com-hifiman-ef2-tube-hybrid-amp-with-usb-dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back