Need help choosing a pair of inexpensive portable in-ear monitors with tangle free cable and 3-button controller, mostly for deep house and house.
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chrisasl

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I own a Nexus 5 (the device I want to use the IEMs with) and I want to buy IEMs that have:
  1. a tangle free cable (preferably flat)
  2. 3 - button controller (with all the buttons being compatible with Android) (preferably Next/ Previous functionality) 
  3. Music: Deep house, House, Dance
  4. budget: about 60 euros (not a strict boundary)

My previous device was HTC Desire (Bravo model) and I had bought these
But I've already bought two models, and both have a failing channel. 

As an audio player I am using PowerAmp with a customized equalizer setting. 
I'll be probably using Mp3s @ 320Kbps, (or 192Kbps if there are restrictions with storage space).

What do you recommend?

Thank you for your time in advance! 

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 15
There are some threads comparing hundreds of iems

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 15
You are going to be hard-pressed to find an IEM or any headphone with a 3-button controller that is android/windows compatible. All current one-button controllers have a mic and next/previous functionality (depending on how many times you press the button.)

As far as your budget is concerned, consider the K323 XS. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 15
There are some threads comparing hundreds of iems

Ok then, could you please point me to some of them? 
It's because I'm lost on all these items, I need some guidance.

You are going to be hard-pressed to find an IEM or any headphone with a 3-button controller that is android/windows compatible. All current one-button controllers have a mic and next/previous functionality (depending on how many times you press the button.)

As far as your budget is concerned, consider the K323 XS. 

Thank you for your reply! I am starting to see after two weeks of searching that this is a hard to get combination of specs. 
So, I think I should start looking for 1-button controller instead of 3-buttons.

The AKG K323 XS you've recommended, don't have a flat cable version, right? 

I would like to find some IEMs with a tangle free mechanism. 

How do you keep yours from not being tangled? If there is a good way to do it, then I can refine my search to non flat cable IEMs, and then I would have many choices, right? (including the K323 XS)

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Feb 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 15
  Ok then, could you please point me to some of them? 
It's because I'm lost on all these items, I need some guidance.

Thank you for your reply! I am starting to see after two weeks of searching that this is a hard to get combination of specs. 
So, I think I should start looking for 1-button controller instead of 3-buttons.

The AKG K323 XS you've recommended, don't have a flat cable version, right? 

I would like to find some IEMs with a tangle free mechanism. 

How do you keep yours from not being tangled? If there is a good way to do it, then I can refine my search to non flat cable IEMs, and then I would have many choices, right? (including the K323 XS)

The cable is not flat, it is actually kind of thick. You will have plenty of choices for IEMs without flat cables.

I usually tie up my IEMs with a few vertical loops and then some horizontal loops around the vertical loops to keep them together. The jack is usually thick enough to keep it from coming unraveled. 

If you want a tangle-free mechanism, there are some aftermarket cable-winders you can look at. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 15

Thank you, I've read some, but there are so many options, that's why I would need your recommendations.

The cable is not flat, it is actually kind of thick. You will have plenty of choices for IEMs without flat cables.

I usually tie up my IEMs with a few vertical loops and then some horizontal loops around the vertical loops to keep them together. The jack is usually thick enough to keep it from coming unraveled. 

If you want a tangle-free mechanism, there are some aftermarket cable-winders you can look at. 

Thank you for the advice on how to tie IEMs!

So, I'm changing my requirements to:
  1. IEMs (without foams as eartips)
  2. Remote control (1-button) with mic
  3. Flat cable preferred but not required
  4. Budget: 50 euros

The AKG you've recommended, meet these requirements, as I see.

Also, I've found these J33i, what do you think?

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 15
Sony mh1c could be an option.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #11 of 15

Thank you, I've read some, but there are so many options, that's why I would need your recommendations.

Thank you for the advice on how to tie IEMs!

So, I'm changing my requirements to:
  1. IEMs (without foams as eartips)
  2. Remote control (1-button) with mic
  3. Flat cable preferred but not required
  4. Budget: 50 euros

The AKG you've recommended, meet these requirements, as I see.

Also, I've found these J33i, what do you think? 

That version has the iphone cable designated by the "i" suffix. The J33a would have your android remote. I don't know too much about JBL headphones other than that they are not all that great for the price. Their new Synchros line seems to be an improvement though. (extrapolating from reviews)

Edit: The S100a seems to meet all your requirements (even the 3-button android remote) if you are willing to spend a little more.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #12 of 15
  That version has the iphone cable designated by the "i" suffix. The J33a would have your android remote. I don't know too much about JBL headphones other than that they are not all that great for the price. Their new Synchros line seems to be an improvement though. (extrapolating from reviews)

Edit: The S100a seems to meet all your requirements (even the 3-button android remote) if you are willing to spend a little more.

Ok, noted, I will look for "a" suffix..

I've checked Synchros s100a but as I live in Greece I would like to buy it from a EU reseller and I checked Amazon Uk, and found this, which is quite costly compared to the 100$ price on JBL's site. 

What do you think about aJays One plus? Unfortunately they have only 1-button remote.
I've also seen aJays Five which meet exactly my requirements but getting it from Amazon would mean paying 110 euros (I am still thinking about it - if and only if Jays provide good sound quality).

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 15
I think some of them might be decent

Feb 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, was talking about the jays

Know nothing about those you just posted..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back