NEED HELP CHOOSING A PAIR OF HEADPHONES
May 14, 2015 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tom9182

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently I've been looking into purchasing a new pair of headphones or a headset, for PC, that I'll be using for Gaming, Listening to music and other misc stuff. I'm fine with getting a pair of headphones with no microphone with them because i can always buy one seperately. 

I've been looking into a few pairs and these are what I've seen so far. I would prefer to stay under the $175 range if possible.

-HyperX Cloud ll
-Sennheiser 350 se
-Audio Technica ATH-AD700x
-Audio Technica ATH-M50x
-Audio Technica ATH-AD900x or A900x
-Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 ohm)

Now, I've read up on how there are open versioned pairs and closed version. And from what I've understood, the closed versions are isolated so you can't hear much background noise when you are wearing them. To me that doesn't matter. I read that the opened version pairs leak sound so surrounding people can hear. I don't mind if they do a little just not overkill. I don't intend to use them for that.

As of what i read it is better to buy good headphones and purchase a seperate mic. I've heard one of the best is the ModMic.

The HyperX's I've heard are good for what you pay for them. Since i could spend more that $100, i would like to find a better pair so they're pretty much out of the question.

Sennheisers, I've heard that they all sound the same and that with the higher up models there's nothing special about them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

With the Audio Technica ATH series i heard overall good reviews on them. I'm just wondering how's the bass and sound range on them? Which model is better over the others? Also, I'm afraid that with the 2 wings to automatically help fit your head that they would be uncomfortable. Has anyone that had a pair tell me?

And lastly with the Beyerdynamic's, I've also heard good things about these but the only downside with these in my opinion is that since they demand so much power with 250 ohms that i would need to buy a seperate amp. I would like to use these with my mobile phone. If i couldn't that wouldn't bother me much because i would only be doing so around my household. If i were to purchase these, i would have to purchase the amp and microphone. I know i probably won't be able to keep it under $200 with what i would need to make this work for what i need it to. But what is a good amp to buy for a cheap price? Under $30 if possible. I haven't done any research and shopping around for them so i don't know what a reasonable price is.

Overall i want your guys opinions on what you think i should get for a new pair. If you recommend one of these or even any other pair, please provide why and what are good and bad about them. 

I recently got the Siberia Elite's in the mail a few days ago and already returning them due to the lack of sound quality in my opinion. I also do not want to buy another pair from Steelseries if anyone was going to suggest them.

Thanks, 
Tom.

May 14, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Open headphones will give you bigger soundstage which many people like for gaming. But it's easier (and thus they more common) to create a closed headphone with good bass emphasis. So the DT770s will have better bass emphasis than the open headphones on your list. However, right. You would probably need an amp with your phone. I would plan on something like the FiiO E11K (or better). On the other hand, the M50X do OK without an amp on many portable devices.

May 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 10
Open headphones will give you bigger soundstage which many people like for gaming. But it's easier (and thus they more common) to create a closed headphone with good bass emphasis. So the DT770s will have better bass emphasis than the open headphones on your list. However, right. You would probably need an amp with your phone. I would plan on something like the FiiO E11K (or better). On the other hand, the M50X do OK without an amp on many portable devices.

Do you have a certain mic you'd recommend? 

May 14, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 10
I think for now, I'm just going to get a Zalman clip mic for $10. As of now, I have chose the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250.  For the amp i chose the SMSL sApII TPA6120A2

I'm also purchasing a portable amp to use with my mobile phone. I did hear that some people are able to use them with their phone without an amp but i find that hard to believe when the headphones have an imediance of 250Ohm. 

As of now my total is $295 for all my needs.

May 18, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 10
UPDATE: The DT990s came today and also the SMSL sAp ll amp.  To be honest i expected more. I'm not sure if it's just that i don't have very much experience with headphones because i honestly don't or they just aren't that great. 

Other than that. If you guys have any other recommendations i can just return the headphones and keep the amp if needed for new ones.

Let me know what you think. 
Thanks,
Tom.

May 18, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Give 'em some time to burn in. Let 'em play a music list on your computer at moderately loud volumes (not so loud it distorts) for a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back