Need Help Choosing a new IEM!!!!
Nov 9, 2011 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bigshot390

New Head-Fier
So in the past I have used the Bose IEM and then chose to purchase the Diddy Beats by Dre. They are decent headphones, but I feel like I have reached a point where I now want more from my IEM. I am currently looking at headphones between $200 and $300. My dilemma is that I do not know what to choose as i have no knowledge of how the products in this price range sound. I have looked at Bower & Wilkins P5, Shure SE 425, and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. I am open to any suggestions and am really relying on the input from this community to help make my decision. I simply want the best bang for my buck and something that I can use on a daily basis without having to worry about it messing up.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 14
The Sennheiser IE8, FX700, GR07, MTP Gold are highely recommended if needed bass like Bose and Dre IEMs with overall better resolution and clarity. The few more IEMs are very detailed with good bass response like RE272, HF5, EX7550, CK100, UM3x are also recommended.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #3 of 14
I've heard both the se425 and the TF10. 

My findings are:

TF10 - very fun IEM, clean beats, sparkly treble, mids are just okay (I don't find them recessed, just not great). However, the fit is a hit or miss. If it fits you well, you may be the luckiest person in the world. 

SE425 - very neutral, very good mids (forward mids). They are way more comfortable than the TF10 and are suitable for classical music.

Nov 9, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Take the shure off your list, they have probably the worst bass I have heard. Never heard bowers so can't comment on that. 

TF10s with lune cable still has the best bass texture/detail I have heard in universals 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Take the shure off your list, they have probably the worst bass I have heard. Never heard bowers so can't comment on that. 

TF10s with lune cable still has the best bass texture/detail I have heard in universals 

Agreed. Bass is not one of Shure's strong points. Like I said, they're very good for classical but probably not for other genres. Classical music don't need bass punches. 
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 14
TF10 great extension in the bass/treble, detailed, airy sound stage, good bass, sparkly treble.  Fun sounding that does all music pretty well

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #8 of 14
I have taken Shure off my list and now am looking at the sennheiser IE 8, MTP Gold, TF10, and maybe Gr07. Each one has its advantages from what I have seen. The TF10 has the three armature speakers in each ear which is a plus in my eyes and looks pretty durable. The MTP Gold looks very durable and from the reviews that I have read are supposed to be Monster's best IEM. The Sennheiser IE8 come with high recommendations, they are supposed to deliver audiophile sound quality to the listener. I am torn between the TF10 and Sennheiser IE8 because they seem to offer the best quality, I am doubtful of the MTP Gold because my experience with Monster so far tells me that its just going to be a super loud IEM with a lot of bass. Need to look into these a bit more. Thanks for all of your input by the way, feel free to continue posting your experiences and recommendations.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Agreed. Bass is not one of Shure's strong points. Like I said, they're very good for classical but probably not for other genres. Classical music don't need bass punches. 
tongue.gif

Disagree. It is a common misconception and myth that classical music do not need bass punches. The sheer quantity of bass impact of full scale symphonic works by such artists as Brahms, Mahler and Wagner will blow any Hip Hop or Dub Step music out of the water. With the wide dynamic range, frequency response, bass impact and large soundstage needed to properly produce classical music, they are a good choice to test out audio gears whether you like that kind of music or not.

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 14
In terms  on sound sig:
tf10- rock and techno (clarity, speed, impactful bass- strikes hard, extended treble, leaner)
ie8- R n B, 80s pop in general, jazz (smoothness, slight veil may give it an enhanced flavour/ muffled to some, great headstage and high fi bass rumble, bass full sounding, laidback)

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #11 of 14
IE8s and TF10s are two of my favs.

Soundstage is very similar on the two but IE8 has better depth. TF10's mids are slightly recessed in comparison with the IE8s while the treble is a lot brighter. IE8's bass has more impact and body but TF10s have better texture and detail.     

IE8s are a lot more comfortable than TF10s, which has better isolation. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 14
What kind of music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back