Need help changing audio from plug, to usb port
Nov 17, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, I have a HP note book with windows vista, I want to change my audio from plug to usb for my dac. Thanks, Pete.

You have not given much to go on but I will assume.
  1. The plug you refer to is a analog output i.e headphones or line out
  2. The laptop does not have a digital out
  3. The DAC does not have a USB in

If your DAC has an optical input then....

COMPUTER BASED RECORDING - AUDIO/MIDI INTERFACES - U-CONTROL UCA202 : Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface with Digital Output

should do the business.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have not given much to go on but I will assume.
  1. The plug you refer to is a analog output i.e headphones or line out
  2. The laptop does not have a digital out
  3. The DAC does not have a USB in

If your DAC has an optical input then....

COMPUTER BASED RECORDING - AUDIO/MIDI INTERFACES - U-CONTROL UCA202 : Ultra low-latency 2 In/2 Out USB/Audio Interface with Digital Output

should do the business.

Yes you are right about lack of info. My dac is the rs predator, so no optical, the plug I refered to is the headphone line out. I have a usb to mini cable, I tried my control panel, and did not see a option to change audio out to usb. Thanks for any input

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Yes you are right about lack of info. My dac is the rs predator, so no optical, the plug I refered to is the headphone line out. I have a usb to mini cable, I tried my control panel, and did not see a option to change audio out to usb. Thanks for any input

Ah, now I see.

I assume you mean a USB to mini-USB cable ?

I also assume
  1. you have set the input selector on the Predator to USB
  2. tuned the power on
  3. plugged it into your laptop
  4. and the laptop has recognised the device as a USB device ?

If so then you need to set your music playback software (FooBar, Winamp or whatever) to use the USB device not the built-in soundchip.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Thanks Nick Charles, I have Itunes. I do not know if the lap top has recognised the usb device. I have done all of the above.

Okay, with the DAC switched on unplug it from the Notebook then plug it in again, you should get a notfication that a new device has been found and that Vista has found suitable drivers.

Then use the options in iTunes to set the output device to the DAC.

Gah, iTunes appears to just take the system audio device.

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 7
You can also consider going to the control panel, and look for the sounds icon (looks like a speaker) there will be some tab there to choose the output device, you should be able to find your USB sound card there to choose if the previous methods did not work.

If you are listening to music regularly, you might consider using this time to set the "system sounds" to "none" and avoid all the various beeps, boops, and sighs from the OS itself. That is unless you want a click with every web page change, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back