need help buying new headphones (:
Oct 22, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 28
i searched for all these headphones and the ultrasone dj1 pro seems to be what i want
but i realized that the coiled cord in the box has unscrewable 1/4 inch connector...there is any adaptor for it? 

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #17 of 28
Order one of the Hosa 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter from Amazon.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:
thank you everyone!!
i will buy the ultrasone dj1 pro with adaptor for 1/4 inch and an amp fiio e11 for quality sound!!!

Congrats, I do think you will be satisfied running the DJ1 Pro through a E11.

And do report back on how you find the new setup to perform :)

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #21 of 28
sorry for the up..but i can not find any pair of ultrasone dj1 pro anywhere..(im from israel)
maybe is there other headphones that similar to this? i thought about the beyer dt770 pro (250) 
its 150$ but i think it dosnt have detechable cable....

please help me, im desperate...): 

oh, by the way, is higher ohms means better headphones?

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
sorry for the up..but i can not find any pair of ultrasone dj1 pro anywhere..(im from israel)
maybe is there other headphones that similar to this? i thought about the beyer dt770 pro (250) 
its 150$ but i think it dosnt have detechable cable....

please help me, im desperate...): 

oh, by the way, is higher ohms means better headphones?

Higher ohms do not mean better headphones. Ohms is a unit for resistance. Higher the ohms, higher the resistance. The impedance (ohms) of the headphone affects what type of amplifiers you should use with that headphones. The lower the headphone impedance, usually the lower the impedance output of the amplifier should be. 300 ohms and 600 ohms usually work better with OTL or tubes with their higher impedance output in comparison to most solid states that have a much lower impedance output......Take home message, at your price point, unless you are going with a  Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser, just stick with a solid state amp.

Also check out all the sellers listed on Amazon.com....I'm sure one offers international at good price 

Oct 25, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:
Higher ohms do not mean better headphones. Ohms is a unit for resistance. Higher the ohms, higher the resistance.

Exactly. Beyerdynamics' 600-Ohm headphones are reputed to have better sound than their lower impedance siblings, but this isn't the same thing as a general rule. (Pedantic note: as used here, the Ohm is a unit of impedance.)

The lower the headphone impedance, usually the lower the impedance output of the amplifier should be. 300 ohms and 600 ohms usually work better with OTL or tubes with their higher impedance output in comparison to most solid states that have a much lower impedance output......

This isn't quite right. It isn't that high-impedance headphones work better with high-impedance amps; it's that low-impedance headphones may not work well with high-impedance amps. For best damping, the amp's output impedance should be at or below 1/8 -- or 1/10, depending on who's doing the estimating -- of the headphone's input impedance.

Amps with low output impedance are suitable for low- and high-impedance headphones. That is, assuming they can deliver the voltage and power required; if an amp can't do this, who cares about its impedance?

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Exactly. Beyerdynamics' 600-Ohm headphones are reputed to have better sound than their lower impedance siblings, but this isn't the same thing as a general rule. (Pedantic note: as used here, the Ohm is a unit of impedance.)

This isn't quite right. It isn't that high-impedance headphones work better with high-impedance amps; it's that low-impedance headphones may not work well with high-impedance amps. For best damping, the amp's output impedance should be at or below 1/8 -- or 1/10, depending on who's doing the estimating -- of the headphone's input impedance.

Amps with low output impedance are suitable for low- and high-impedance headphones. That is, assuming they can deliver the voltage and power required; if an amp can't do this, who cares about its impedance?

Yea sounds about right, I didn't want to further confuse the OP with overdamping, underdamping....wanted to make it easy for him practically speaking. Physics wise, your logic is fine. Although for OP's purposes and considering how picky the Sennheiser HD650 can be with amps, I thought of just telling him what would ultimately make his system sound right. Beyer's are a bit more lenient here. HD650 in general is best with tubes or hybrids, solid states are good too, but not at his price point....again just trying to be practical for him specifically.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 28
so i shoud buy the ultrasone...if i ever find a pair...:)
and from what i unterstand, more ohms mean difrente use-studio, listening to music
at home from big amplifer...but i still dont know why we need more ohms if there is no 
difrence in the quelity....maybe beacuse the massive equiepment in studios??

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
so i shoud buy the ultrasone...if i ever find a pair...:)
and from what i unterstand, more ohms mean difrente use-studio, listening to music
at home from big amplifer...but i still dont know why we need more ohms if there is no 

Dude, just google "ohms", please.

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Really, don't sweat the details. You can do this, if you feel like it.

The manufacturer's web page for the headphones will show its "input impedance" -- a number of magical Ohms. You can probably even find this number here at Head-Fi.

The manufacturer's web page for the amplifier will show its "output impedance" -- another number of magical Ohms. You can probably even find this number here at Head-Fi.

Finally, do a little arithmetic. It's better if the "input impedance of the headphone" is more than 8 times the "output impedance of the amplifier."

Despite all my previous techno-babble, it all boils down to that little formula.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back