Need help assembling a K1000 portable rig.
Jun 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sonictransducer

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of AKG K1000s, and I want to run them portably.  There's an old thread about this, and at the time people were recommending the TTVJ Millet Portable Hybrid.  So I bought one, and tried it with my K1000s, and the result was very disappointing--the sound is thin and metallic, with too much treble and not enough bass.  I get slightly better sound using my RSA Predator, but it still isn't good enough.  So now I'm thinking what I may need to do is buy a very small speaker amp, and run it with a battery pack.  I've found there are some very small amps available (most are Class-T though some are Class-D), but I don't know if any of them would sound OK with the K1000s.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions on how to make portable rig for my K1000s.  Thanks!

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 10
You mean a transportable amp? because using it as a portable its crazy 
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi, you definitely need a speaker amp!

By the way, when you say you use them portable, do you mean you use them when you're on the go (like in a bus, subway or even on the plane) or you're away for like 2 week and would like to listen to them where you're staying?

Jun 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Neither one.  I mean to listen to at home.  I know this is unusual, but I like to be able to walk around my condo wearing my headphones, rather than being tied to one place.  So that's why I want a portable setup.  Given how open the K1000s are, I would never listen to them in a noisy environment.

So I need to find the best small speaker amp.  I'm considering the Firestone Big Joe V. 1.3 or the Winsome Mouse.  Anyone know which one of those would be best, or have any other suggestions?

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 10
How would you intend to keep it steady when wearing it to walk around? The small pads making contact with the sides of your head will probably be unable to keep the 1K steady, which means the sound stage will shift around when you're walking.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back