Need help! Anybody with access to Dave Brubeck Quartet's 'Take Five" which side do you hear drums?
May 5, 2015 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
I thought I was going crazy but after I hooked my new Lyr 2 amp up I realized that the channels were reversed, except they weren't. I have 3 versions of Dave Brubeck's Take Five, Most of them have the drums on the left channel, but one of the better recordings has the drums on the right side.......I need your help, which one is backwards? Preferably anybody with access to the LP or original recording can you confirm which side the drums belong?

May 6, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 9

I have a recollection that when one version came out, the remasterer stated that all the other versions had reversed the tracks.  I do not know how to tell how who got it correct.  The Analogue Productions version has the drums on the left.

May 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 9
I'm listening on a computer, it's the track not the gear. Everything else pans normally. I think for whatever reason, someone had their inputs swapped when they recorded the version I'm talking about. It might have been someone recording off of an LP. It sounds really good compared to the official track, just backwards.

May 13, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Drop it into a DAW, reverse the stereo pots or stereo width, bounce it out at the same sample rate/bit depth, and voila! Drums on the left!

Naw, I know I could fix it, I was just trying to figure out which one was 'right'. I do extensive audio engineering, recording, and mixing so I definitely have the tools but don't see the point.

I actually did this cover on my HE400's and E5 DAC the other night with my DAW and Kontakt.

https://soundcloud.com/subparanon/i-guess-thats-why-they-call-it-the-blues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back