Need Help / Advise to build a Cost-No-Object Beta 22 Amp B22 Amp
Jun 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #46 of 86
Hi Beefy,

thanks for your directions.

Regards

FordGTlover...

I think it cuts both ways, I have only responded as appropriately as to how I am corresponded with. For those nay-sayers and people with too much time, like me, let's just either contribute constructively, or remain distant to each other.

Stay civil to me, you get the same thing back. Universal law.

Regards to you too.

Jun 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #47 of 86
Just to add,

I am not on my path to being an inventor or anything. I just want to follow well-travelled paths that had proven success, which in my terms is follow a formula, it works, fine. I would come back and report my success.

If you do not understand / agree / condor the above behaviour, my thread shouldn't even be appealing to you for a response / reply.

Let's not go off-thread ...

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #48 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by 43sunsetslater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to follow well-travelled paths that had proven success, which in my terms is follow a formula, it works, fine.

I can understand that. But as we've all tried to say, the well traveled path to success is hours upon hours of research, which starts with reading the whole of the Headwize thread.

No other formula works better.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

I think it cuts both ways, I have only responded as appropriately as to how I am corresponded with. For those nay-sayers and people with too much time, like me, let's just either contribute constructively, or remain distant to each other.

Stay civil to me, you get the same thing back. Universal law.

Regards to you too.

You seem pretty gung-ho on building a B22. Caveats aside, I would recommend you to buy a kit from Jeff and then buy whatever boutique parts you want to swap on the side. That way, you can fall back on the "stock" parts list should something not work out. Many of the answers to your parts questions can be found on the B22 site. There is Parts recommendations & options listing further down from the parts table.

You should read the whole B22 site (You're going to have to go through it at some point) to get a better understanding of the parts and the process. That would cut down on some of the chiding you're getting.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #50 of 86
Hi there,

I have read 2 full threads (with a 40% absorption last night) of headwize... which is the reason why i started this thread to ask successful diyers to post their list of boms / parts list as i understand there are blackgates users, dact users... so maybe the sin that i did is to ask for a 'shortcut' , basically, asking what others have used before...

beefy... i am trying to make it better, by starting a new thread and to make a more concise list of what-to-do's and how-to-do's with the aid of Positive, Constructive People (who greets, regardless...)

I guess somehow I attract a small group of people with the 1. YOU ARE LAZY to post such a thread 'users', 2. GO SEARCH THE INTERNET ! 'users' (just to rethink, isn't this the internet?)...

regardless... they are right, and i am right... but i just want to have a little request, which i deem is within my right.

If you are not helping, it's fine.

If you are not helping and intend to post negative messages... thanks, it's the weekend, you have a lot of time, so do i, but let's not take a piss at each other.

I believe we can make a more user-friendly build beta22 amp for newbies like me... as i was advised by a builder who had completed the project, who is a first-timer like me, that it is possible.

Maybe, I am the odd one out here, I just like to live with hope... esp in the face of challenges.

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #51 of 86
hi User18,

I have spent the whole breakfast to lunchtime reading and calling shops on the Parts List provided by Amb...

it's been more positive than when I posted the first thread.

I think I would cut it into pieces and

order the breadboard for the B22 X 3, S22 X 1, E22 X1

and assemble the B22 3 times first...

that should get me started...

would come back here for recommendations later.

divide and conquer, and the british did !

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #52 of 86
Quote:

hey, marther farker, far queue and press the icon for the next thread
without replying.

Yes.... you know who you are, move along now.

Here's a word or warning, it's posts like these that will get you completely ignored when you have issues with your build.

rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #53 of 86
n_maher,

I love to be friends with you,

but let's examine your posts to me...

And I'd like to encourage you to do some of your own research. There are multiple threads on multiple forums, all searchable, that will yield most of not all of what you're looking for. Asking me to either a) type what I've already typed before or b) do the research for you is not exactly a great start to your head-fi career. Being upfront with your laziness doesn't buy you any points either. If you think reading a 50 page thread is tiresome what exactly is your expectation for an amp that'll take 40+hrs to build, if you're lucky? And with precious few exceptions there's no such thing as a complete BOM. You're still going to have to source and select parts on your own. Amb has already provided you with a ton of information on his site and even links to the build threads.

And now, you like to give me a word or a word of warning or a word or warning?

there are people who can't stand newbies, I am fine with that. I am a DIY newbie. If being new to anything, irritates you. My apologies. I see that my intentions of taking a proactive approach to get to the DIY forum to ask honest questions is being interpreted by you as being lazy as Charged. I must apologise that the headwize threads and the various other threads on other DIY sites regarding Beta 22 are full of info and other contents, as such is my intent as previously stated to create a condense list of a hub of info for 'newbies' builders who are attracted to the Reference SS DIY Amp and who are willing to invest their money and time, as I cannot afford to buy it off the shelf as much as I prefer to.

maybe... we should recognise that unlike the others who are able to feed me with info, directions, etc... you and I may not have the chemistry to communicate. As much as I regret, I do not see that I should offer my friendship to you just for the exchange of my need from you to solve my DIY SS Amp problems. You may take the opportunity to jump at the charge that I am being Proud and etc..., which is fully in your own rights of action. But instead of us having a ping-pong on all these Off Thread Topics, maybe you should consider this,

if you cannot contribute constructively to my request, there is no need for us to be unhappy with each other.

To state my stand, if you aren't unhappy, this is my thread, you have said what you have to, your advises to me is read and understood, but from the language you used, you have obviously not noticed the feelings of the receiving end of the thread-starter who is reading this. From my position, I appreciate your goodwill which I presume is involved, but would prefer that if you are not able to change your tone of writings to me, let's just end it here and now.

Thanks.

I have sat in your shoes and understood your position, as much as I can. What do you reckon?

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #54 of 86
Oh my! What an unpleasant tone in this thread...
frown.gif

Someone (no names mentioned) probably need to calm down.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #56 of 86
As I see it, a ß22 build could benefit from the following 'upgrades' from the stock BOM:

-Use an encapsulated (or otherwise shielded) transformer to minimize EMI-induced noise injected into the signal path.
-Use a stepped attenuator in place of the volume pot to potentially achieve better channel matching
-Add a relay-based source selector (like the Darwin, or a DIY version) to turn it into a nice preamp

If you'd feel better about your amp if it had boutique caps, then go ahead and get Black Gates or something like that for the electrolytics. On the same note, consider spending extra on the case, jacks, knobs, etc so that the unit looks as good as it sounds. The cost of vanity in DIY is high, but worth it sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would also encourage you to do a lot of supplemental research before planning your build; it's very satisfying to discover something that you can implement in your build, maybe even something that nobody's done before.

And I'd get a Molex crimper if you'll be using the ε22 backplane.

I will echo the sentiment that a ß22 is a prohibitively advanced 'first build.' If you have the confidence to do it (I certainly didn't until I had a completed, working CK²III) then more power to you...just make sure to have AMB's excellent instructions right by your side. Otherwise you'll almost certainly forget that not all TO-92 devices are mounted according to the silkscreen. And please take my advice and everyone else's as a friendly caution, not discouragement.

Good luck.

Jun 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #57 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cost of vanity in DIY is high, but worth it sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, I agree
smily_headphones1.gif
I once spent more on the case than the amp that was contained in it
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #58 of 86
Hi MoodySteve and MrMajestic2,

I happen to have access to some great looking chasiss, (probable typo), and yes, what really attracts me to do my own DIY is that,

I would be maxxing out the parts as much as I can, in a safe yet hi-end components used 'manner'. I just got a dealer for blackgates quite cheaply
smily_headphones1.gif
He told me to let him read the parts list, which is a relief.

Why I want to build my own Amp

1. I can use silver wires, blackgates, etc and not pay so much as compared to asking someone else to assemble it for me.

2. somehow, i get a peace of mind, if i assemble the Amp and remain non-electri-killed in the process, I can be have the peace of mind, all my parts are premium, so this should be the End-All Amp for me.

3. I get excited about planning for the aesthetics of the Amp, even though all I get to do is to mix and match the Amps, I think the Amp that Ferrari did was beautiful... Most audio devices are so ugly.... they should realise that they affect consumer behaviour in purchasing...

So many a times, I have had reservations about getting an audio device, despite it being good in performance, the aesthetics of it, is at best... sad. I mean, if i am throwing in, $1000 - $2000, at least give me an Amp that looks that price... some of them, are just downright ugly. (though I won't name them, haha)

so yea,

1. building a maxxed-out version,
2. having the peace of mind, that the components are inside, as it is self-assembled.
3. cheaper than buying off-shelf hi-end amps, yes, i can't afford the full price of an audiograde hi end amp.
4. i get to 'barbie-doll' the aesthetics, and can make it 'lean and mean' looking, makes me relatively excited!

oh... i am able to get the chassis at a slightly cheaper rate... this is one factor why i am so excited to do a DIY too.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #59 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very good point krmathis, n_maher and fordgtlover. Indeed... such a behavior/tone makes me really really sick.
frown.gif

That's why I ignored.

then, why are you answering?

haha,

too much time on your side too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back