Need help adding USB to my DAC
Nov 18, 2004 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
I want to gut my m-audio transit and connect the s/pdif output from that card directly to the input of my ciaudio vda-1 DAC via a very short (2-3 inch) direct connection.

I need some advice with the following questions...
- What about the short cable length, and it's direct impact on jitter? I've seen that long cables are supposedly better for s/pdif...what about very short connections...is this a bad idea?
- What about the 75 ohm termination? How do I ensure that the termination is properly implemented on this short connection?
- What about galvanic isolation? Is this a must have, or should it only be used on a case-by-case basis...i. e., use it if I have a problem with hum?

I've contacted Steve Nugent at empirical audio (www.empiricalaudio.com). He will perform this exact mod, but he wants $350-400 to do the work (which includes the cost of the USB audio solution...transit-based I believe...and the mechanical work to add the USB connector directly to the DAC enclosure). When I respectfully asked if he would consider dropping the price a bit, it was clear that he wasn't going to budge. Consequently, I've decided to try to do this myself. I can easily do the soldering, wiring, and enclosure work myself...and the total out-of-pocket expense for me would be negligible since I already have the USB sound card & the DAC. I just need a few key questions answered...

Thanks in advance for any advice with this!

Peace,

Graz

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #2 of 3
I'm just wondering where you are getting the SP/DIF output from? The optical output from the Transit is TTL as far as i know. http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html has some circuits to help convert TTL to SP/DIF.

Do let us know how you go I'm especially interested since I intent to add a coaxial SP/DIF output to my transit sometime soon.

Also from what I understand if you can terminate it at 75ohm Jitter becomes less of a problem.

Nov 18, 2004 at 10:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Transit uses the Asahi AK4584...

Data sheet for this device can be found here:

http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/en/...84/ak4584.html

On page 24 of the data sheet, it reads:
"The AK4584 inlcudes a TX output buffer. The output level is 0.5V, +/-20% using the external resistor network shown below...".

I was planning to implement the circuit shown in Figure 7 of the data sheet (which is shown just below the text I've quoted). The T1 device provides the galvanic isolation, and I have a suitable device for this application.

Anyway, I'm thinking it will fly but I still have concerns about the short connection length between the output of the Transit & the input of my DAC, as well as accurately implementing the desired 75 ohm termination.

Still hoping for some expert opions...
eggosmile.gif

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back