Need Headphone Recommendations for Under $200
May 10, 2013 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Maukey

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of QC15s and HD555s (Modded to HD595s). I'm a drummer, and yesterday at a rehearsal another musician let me hear the M50s. It had been a while since I heard them, but I actually was pretty floored this time. Love the way that these cans make acoustic drums sound on a recording. In short, I am now selling my QC15s and in search of a replacement. I'm selling the QC15s because I don't fly much so the noise cancelling is not a necessity. And to be honest, I preferred the sound of the M50s, and them being about $200 cheaper really put my decision over the edge. Plus it also helps that I can use the extra money that I will gain selling my QC15s.

I will be using these as multipurpose cans at home and occasionally on the go. I listen to mostly music with live instruments (Gospel, etc.). I like my headphones to give drums and bass guitar impact while at the same time still maintaining great detail and clarity. The QC15s have good clarity and detail, but the drums aren't as impactful or detailed if that makes since. With the M50s I was able to hear the tom and snare work on drums with greater detail and impact, and the detail retrieval was slightly better (Piano riffs, lead guitar, horns, etc.). I also will do immersive gaming with a dolby headphone processor (don't need footstep listening cans), and some movie watching through the same dolby headphone processor. The music listening will come through my ipad and Galaxy S3. I don't want to have to buy an amplifier either.

I'm leaning toward the M50s. I feel at their current price (less than $100 on Amazon) they are a steal and I love what I have heardfrom them so far. I don't have anywhere close to me to demo other cans so I'm coming hear to see if there is something else under $200 that will give me better sound than the M50s for my needs.

Thanks in Advance!

May 10, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 6
It sounds like you've already made the decision. Just get the m50's. You've heard them...liked them. The price is right, they isolate well. Go for it!!

May 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Well I hate to do this... Recommend you a can when you' ve heard one you've liked, But I want to... Fine ill do it.lol

Get the ath WS99. These IMO are much better than the m50s. They have much tighter bass, wider soundstage, and clearer mids (and more pronounced). They're $195 on amazon. Only problem may be comfort. In that case I'd recommend Sony MDR 1r, dt880 (don't have but read a whole bunch about em), and ma900. The latter is the most comfortable can I've ever used! Dt880 is semi open while ma900 is fully open.

If you want to stick with he same flavor you have, consider the dt770 pro 80.

May 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 6
Well I hate to do this... Recommend you a can when you' ve heard one you've liked, But I want to... Fine ill do it.lol

Get the ath WS99. These IMO are much better than the m50s. They have much tighter bass, wider soundstage, and clearer mids (and more pronounced). They're $195 on amazon. Only problem may be comfort. In that case I'd recommend Sony MDR 1r, dt880 (don't have but read a whole bunch about em), and ma900. The latter is the most comfortable can I've ever used! Dt880 is semi open while ma900 is fully open.

If you want to stick with he same flavor you have, consider the dt770 pro 80.
What do you mean the flavor I have? And thanks for the recommendations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back