Need Headphone, DAC & Amp advice for RuneAudio listening station
May 12, 2015 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tretneo

100+ Head-Fier
I recently discovered RuneAudio and I'm absolutely loving it. Perhaps I can quickly go over my current setup and listening preferences and open it up for discussion.

Current Setup (Admittedly this is cobbled together although the sound isn't half bad):
- Raspberry Pi 2 w/ Hifiberry Digi+ running RuneAudio
- Marantz SR5008 (connected via digital optical from the Raspberry Pi)
- Sennheiser Momentum over-ear
- GoldenEar Triton 7s (for when I'm less stationary)

Sound Preferences:
I'm no expert but I'd say I prefer a neutral, slightly warm sound. I'm not a big fan of harsh highs or boomy bass.

Musical Likes:
- Classic Rock
- 90s Rock (Alternative, Grunge, etc.)
- Classical
- Electronica/Synth Pop (LCD Soundsystem, Daft Punk, etc.)

Now, after doing some light reading/research I was thinking I might go with something like:
- Sennheiser HD650 or HD700
- Marantz HD-DAC1 or Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies

Note: I realize with either of these DAC/Amp combos I'm going to lose the ability to use my Triton 7s until I can add something to drive them somewhere down the road.

Ok, open for discussion. Thoughts?

- tret

May 13, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Your Marantz SR5008 would likely be able to drive the HD650s and HD700s. Does it do OK with the Momentums with plenty of headroom?

May 13, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 7
It definitely seems to drive them fine although I'm honestly not well educated in what to look for to establish the capabilities. Any pointers?

Would there be (sound quality wise) an advantage to going with a different DAC/Amp setup over the SR5008?

May 13, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 7
It definitely seems to drive them fine although I'm honestly not well educated in what to look for to establish the capabilities. Any pointers?

Mainly, you want to make sure you have plenty of headroom for dynamic peaks. So if you have the volume pushed up on the Momentums such that it doesn't really go much louder (ignore the volume dial number), then the dynamics might be squashed/clipping.

I think it's worth it to get your new headphones and see how they sound with your Marantz--can it drive them well to your listening volume--before thinking about an amp :)

May 13, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 7

Would there be (sound quality wise) an advantage to going with a different DAC/Amp setup over the SR5008?

Get the headphones first (HD650?) and plug them directly into the Marantz 5008, see how that sounds.

May 14, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you for your suggestions guys, after doing a bit more reading I decided to audition this new setup (see below). Can return easily if need be.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766530/got-some-new-gear-today-so-much-fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back