Need headphone amp for Grado 325i with signal passthru
Mar 14, 2006 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

macisgr8

New Head-Fier
I have a turntable preamp that I'd like to be able to connect to a headphone amp (which has outputs) that would connect to my larger tube amp that power my loudspeakers.

Setup right now is TT preamp to the speaker tube amp. But this doesn't allow me to listen to the TT with headphones with moving interconnects around.

Any ideas?

Would this amp work?
http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/main_pro...?prolook=obh21

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 17
So you need loopouts on the headphone amp?

There is easily a few great choices you have pending how much money you want to spend.

Headamp has the Gilmore Lite with loop out,the gs-1 also has them

I think (not 100% sure) the headroom amps have loop outs also. (desktop range?)

I am also not sure of Meier amps niether, but maybe someone can say that

you have lots of options here, whats your budget?

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 17
Headamp GS-1 has not only a loop out but a pre out so instead of just looping out you could use the GS-1 as a preamp in your stereo rig if you so choose. From the reports it does a very good job as a preamp as well.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 17
If you were interested in going the tube route, you could consider the Maple Tree Purist. Dr. Lloyd is very open to customization, and would likely be glad to add a loop out/line out for you, for a very small extra charge.

As an added bonus the Maple Tree is know for it's synergy with Grados.

- augustwest

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Headroom Desktop (not the portable) units have 2 inputs, and a loop out. There is a switch to choose inputs (on the back) and a switch up front that controls whether the loop out is on or not. I personally would have preferred the input switch on the front and put the loop out on/off on the back.

Of course as has been discussed here forever, you can choose from 3 levels of amp, and even add one of 3 DAC units to this device. For the higher level of amps/dacs, the dedicated PSU is recommended.

I use the Desktop box, with desktop amp/dac unit at home, and really like the quality, and service from Headroom. I use Senn 580 on this box.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 17
Don't overcomplicate folks.Every headphone amp known to humans has a "loop out" with a pair of these attached :

7702ebig.jpg

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 17
That's what I use to hook up 4 amps to my MF A3.24 DAC. It works:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Don't overcomplicate folks.Every headphone amp known to humans has a "loop out" with a pair of these attached :

7702ebig.jpg

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Don't overcomplicate folks.Every headphone amp known to humans has a "loop out" with a pair of these attached:

Too simple and too cheap. Something must be wrong with your logic.

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 17
I guess I should also add the "budget" version and one i have actually used without any problems

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

the metal "Y" version,not gold

and the plastic version just for comparison

Even a "Y" adapter cable is a loop out since all it really is-an output jack in parallel with the input to the headphone amp.The Headroom amps i beleive add the extra of the ability to switch the "feed" off but in most cases not an essential.

another way ?

A/B box with a stereo RCA jack input pair to switched RCA output A and B pairs.If a rotary or single switch selects "one of" so only one set is active but if uses TWO independant switches,one for each jack pair,it then become an "either/or" switch and allows either one,both,or none.

Many ways to sking this cat folks and applicable to every single headphone amp made
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Why would you put these as being the best over the ratshack gold ones? I have the rat's and I wonder why those are better?

internal wire used ,solder quality and soldering techique,how heavy the gold plate is,gold purity.....

when you buy something like this that has a name to it you have the ability to pretty much know build quality while the generics are always a mystery even though potentially just as good

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 17
I would prefer a tube or hybrid.

And it would be for desktop not mobile use at all.

But I don't mind a small enclosure.

I contacted Maple Tree and the lowend tube was over $500. Way outta my range.

I'd like to keep it below $300.

Thanks for all the help too.

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Why would you put these as being the best over the ratshack gold ones? I have the rat's and I wonder why those are better?

I dont know about those specific shack adapters, but I have had problems with their gold series 1/8 TRS connectors and their 1/4F to 1/8M
adapter.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back