need headphone advice! Sennheiser HD 598 vs. hfi-780 vs anyotheryoucanthinkof
Jan 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wreckedem

New Head-Fier
Hi all! i'm new to this site as well as headphones. I previously owned beats by dre solo's until they broke. As sad as i was, it offered an opportunity for me to grab a better pair. I did some research (although there's so many opinions out there idk what to think!). 
Ultimately i want something $300 or less that provides best possible quality (better than beats). I listen to alot of hip-hop as well as some electronic, rock pop and alternative.
I was intrigued by the ultrasone HFI-780 and Sennheiser HD 598. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys!

BTW im using them with my ipod touch. im willing to get a cheap amp (if that exists) but nothing absurd ($30 max)

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
Hi all! i'm new to this site as well as headphones. I previously owned beats by dre solo's until they broke. As sad as i was, it offered an opportunity for me to grab a better pair. I did some research (although there's so many opinions out there idk what to think!). 
Ultimately i want something $300 or less that provides best possible quality (better than beats). I listen to alot of hip-hop as well as some electronic, rock pop and alternative.
I was intrigued by the ultrasone HFI-780 and Sennheiser HD 598. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help guys!

Have you considered the Sennheiser HD-25 I II? They're great for common genres, and the Adidas version is stylish if you like that kind of thing. Otherwise, you absolutely can't beat a Grado for rock. I'd suggest you buy the HD-25 I II and a Grado SR60i thrown in on top of it just because you can.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 17
are the around ear or on ear? the solos left my ears in pain after prolonged use. i would much prefer a full sized. I'll definately look into those tho. Any other suggestions? 
PS: i believe i want a closed set

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
ok. Just a generic question. Genre, closed/open aside, what's the best around ears i can get for three hundred? yes i'm very new to this stuff.

again thanks for the help

Many would say the Sennheiser HD600, but it needs careful amping to sound its best and to some it's too forgiving.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I listen to alot of hip-hop as well as some electronic, rock pop and alternative.

HFi 780 not HD598 for your tastes.

Quote:
The HD25-1 II and ATH-M50 are famous for their comfort and sound, and closed also.

HD25 isn't very comfortable and M50 doesn't sound very good to my ears, but its just my opinion.

Quote:
what's the best around ears i can get for three hundred?

AD900/HD600/HD650/HFi2400...

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 17
HD 600 and 650 are 500 bucks. ill pass. the Hfi 2400, AD 900 and hfi 780 all seem like good options. the 2400 is probably my first choice of the three. can anyone shed more light on these please? (comparisons to beats solos would be great because those are the only "good" headphones ive owned. And they arent very good)

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 17

Quote:
HD 600 and 650 are 500 bucks. ill pass. the Hfi 2400, AD 900 and hfi 780 all seem like good options. the 2400 is probably my first choice of the three. can anyone shed more light on these please? (comparisons to beats solos would be great because those are the only "good" headphones ive owned. And they arent very good)

Sorry about that, I must've misread your statement or my own mind. As for comparing anything to your Solos, there's no comparison. To me, the Solos are a fun little bassy can, but not worth even $40. You're not talking about big booming bass that drowns out everything else anymore with audiophile cans. You're talking about smooth, layered bass that, while still providing impact, is very distinct in tone. It is much better-quality bass than that of anything Beats, but it won't have quite the direct volume of the Beats. I suggest an amp like the CMoyBB that has bass boost if you really want that much bass.

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 17
i'll look into a cmoybb. currently dont have the money for it however. Would the 2400s work well just with ipod touch second gen? What about the 780s? volume and everything would be adequate?

Jan 11, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
i'll look into a cmoybb. currently dont have the money for it however. Would the 2400s work well just with ipod touch second gen? What about the 780s? volume and everything would be adequate?

No, amp required for HFi2400.

No problems with HFi780, better than HFi580 but less punchy.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 17
Fiio E6 for example.

All headphones without exceptions (imo) are better with an amp.

If you don't want portability or great isolation you can try D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back