Need guidance toward the right headphone
Mar 20, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Esidarap

500+ Head-Fier
First let me start off by saying that I'm not planning on buying anything right now since I'm kind of broke. But I want to know what to buy when I do have enough money.

I've had some pretty bad experience with headphones up till now, my problem is I absolutely hate loud bass, all the headphones I have right now(except V150
eek.gif
) sound pretty good to me till the bass kicks in. My HD202s bass is manageable and doesn't overwhelm everything else but it just sounds nasty and is too loud in the mix. My latest purchase which I've had for about a month now, the Sony 7506 sounds incredible.. till the bass kicks in, it's just so overwhelming that it turns my music into a muddy mess and gives me a headache if I listen for more than an hour at a time. Another complaint with the Sonys is that when I have them on I feel like I have earplugs on.. yet can hear the music fine.. it's a very very strange feeling.

Now that you have alittle background.. I ask, what would be the best headphone for me? I do not want boomy bass like the headphones I own already. I want very very clear headphones, I guess this is what you guys call analytical around here? I'm not sure since I've also heard the MDR-7506(V6) called analytical and they're about as clear as my HD202.. which I'd hardly call analytical. Finally, I don't want to be leaking music allover the place, some sound escaping is fine but I don't want someone 5 feet away from me to hear my music perfectly, I've read Grados leak like crazy.

I would like all this in the $200 ballpark.. I can break that barrier but will not go into the 300s. What would be a good choice?

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 13
What do you guys think about the beyerdynamic DT880? On their website they let you pick 32 - 250 - 600Ohm, is there a difference in sound quality?

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 13
DT-880s would be good. CD3000s would also be good. You might look at the 325is. But all of those are over $200 and they all will leak sound.
Sorry, I don't know much about closed cans but I would imagine the bass in them wouldn't be what you're looking for.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 13
You have oppostie taste then me. You may go for $40 Gainward soundXplosion 5.1.

They produce Clear highs, average mids and as you desire absolutely no bass.

Also they have no mercy about your feelings, when you want to listen louder. they surrender. So no one can listen to you from 5 feets.

Very comfy and bundled with lot of stuffs.

They haves 3 drivers in each cans and can handle surround sound. though rear speakers are bit less powered.

they are closed and isolated.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 13
It's not that I want no bass or weak bass, I just don't want that loud boomy thunderous bass.. the type of bass that oozes out of those cheap civics with the loud music.

I'm really interested in those DT880s, but now I'm reading they're not so good for rock music. Could someone who owns them tell me what it is that makes them not so good for rock? I couldn't really understand the reasons that other people gave. Also, exactly how much do they leak?
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 13
w00t!

In the long tradition of head-fi'ers recommending cans well-above the budget of the original poster, might I suggest the audio-technica ATH-W5000?

Won't leak. Nice middle-of-the-road sonic approach. I like how they're fast, musical. They're too coloured for me to call them analytical, but I think they'll appeal to your desire for a clean/crisper sound. Not overwhelming in the bass department. Needs nice warm amplification to sound its best though.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: I'd also recommend the Sony MDR-CD3000. I will disagree with the prior poster in that I think they won't leak too much for you. They do leak some but not like a true open can.

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 13
Wow, those ATH-W5000s are gorgeous... I'd have to do some sacrificing for one of those though!

hmm... headphones or food...
biggrin.gif

About the CD3000s, those are too expensive I see them for $600 - $700 or am I looking in the wrong place?

Mar 21, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
w00t!

In the long tradition of head-fi'ers recommending cans well-above the budget of the original poster, might I suggest the audio-technica ATH-W5000?

Won't leak. Nice middle-of-the-road sonic approach. I like how they're fast, musical. They're too coloured for me to call them analytical, but I think they'll appeal to your desire for a clean/crisper sound. Not overwhelming in the bass department. Needs nice warm amplification to sound its best though.

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: I'd also recommend the Sony MDR-CD3000. I will disagree with the prior poster in that I think they won't leak too much for you. They do leak some but not like a true open can.

You are so helpful. The W5k are probably the best closed, production cans money can buy (R10 are not production cans).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
Wow, those ATH-W5000s are gorgeous... I'd have to do some sacrificing for one of those though!

hmm... headphones or food...
biggrin.gif

About the CD3000s, those are too expensive I see them for $600 - $700 or am I looking in the wrong place?

Uh... I'll go for headphones. I can put myself into semi hibernation mode where the only parts of my body that function are my eardrums and the sensory area of the brain responsible for sound recognition. It'll be fine. The CD3000 was a joke as well. They are EXTREMELY good and hence go for a lot of money!

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

It's not that I want no bass or weak bass, I just don't want that loud boomy thunderous bass.. the type of bass that oozes out of those cheap civics with the loud music.

I'm really interested in those DT880s, but now I'm reading they're not so good for rock music. Could someone who owns them tell me what it is that makes them not so good for rock? I couldn't really understand the reasons that other people gave. Also, exactly how much do they leak?
confused.gif

If you are serious about leakage then dont look open phones at all. DT880's are open.

One thing I would like to say that you are infacted with sonys low end model and it's bass response like me. If you can bear good bass impacts with better isolation then go for ATH-A*00.

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 13
I've been looking around and I think I like what I hear about the A900 but from people's reviews I don't get the impression that they're very detailed... which is one of my biggest concerns.

How would you rate the detail of the A900 compared to the Sony MDR-7506 (or V6)?

Mar 21, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I've been looking around and I think I like what I hear about the A900 but from people's reviews I don't get the impression that they're very detailed... which is one of my biggest concerns.

How would you rate the detail of the A900 compared to the Sony MDR-7506 (or V6)?

No comparision. You'll just amazed with A900 if coming from MDR-7506 and infected with it. Your first impression will be
basshead.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
No comparision. You'll just amazed with A900 if coming from MDR-7506 and infected with it. Your first impression will be
basshead.gif

That's very good to hear because I was expecting to atleast need to reencode my mp3s when I got my Sonys because they supposedly "are analytical and expose flaws" but all I got was a treble boost and BOOM BOOM BOOM bass which makes it sound muddy. I'm gonna look into the A900s some more, any other suggestions while I'm at it?

Mar 21, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
You are so helpful. The W5k are probably the best closed, production cans money can buy (R10 are not production cans).

The CD3000 was a joke as well.

Um, what was the joke regarding the CD3k? You can still find good condition used ones for $200 ~ $300. But it takes looking and work.

As for the ATH-W5000, I was being somewhat flippant in the recommendation, but other than price, it so solidly hit the original poster's requirements, it was the first that came to mind. Given the original poster's timeframe, one never knows how far one can stretch a budget or wait for a used can to come up.

Personally, I'd rather save money and try and get the W5000 or find a used CD3k than get an A900.

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back