Need Fun Sounding Headphone
Feb 25, 2006 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AdamP

100+ Head-Fier
I feel like buying some new ones to build up my circumaural collection.

I already have all the IEMs I need (UE SF5P, Senn CX 300, Sony MDR-EX51LP, Pana HJE-50S). I'd describe all of these as fun sounding except the Pana.

Currently for non-IEMs for reference I have the DT-770Pro-80 and the PX-100. The DT has good bass, upfront and clean soundstage with clean highs... this is my favorite phone at the moment. I also have the PX-100 which I think is fun sounding as well.

Need something in the area of $300CAD or so. Preferably circumaural. Essentially what I'm looking for is just a really close soundstage to bring the vocals out with a bright but not sibilant high end with a powerful bottom end.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 12
Just wondering, but what source are you using? Is it portable with an amp or home rig?

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 12
Mobility-wise my sources are:
4G iPod, 5G iPod, Cowon X5 which I sometimes use with a CMOY I built

For home listening I just use my X-Fi output on the computer.

Feb 25, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 12
Grado's are fun and you could get them used off here or ebay for cheap.

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 12
HF1 (!!!) Such a groovy fun headphone to listen to. While technically inferior to the RS1, it many time surpasses it in "fun factor".

Garrett

Feb 25, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #6 of 12
Hey Garrett, I took a look at your site on taking apart the DT-770. I took out the driver and whatnot but unfortunately I couldn't find anything wrong.

Do you think it could be a rubbing voice coil? I don't really think so because the buzzing comes and goes but it's a possibility.

Any other ideas before I officially go to sent it back to Beyer?

Feb 25, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
Hey Garrett, I took a look at your site on taking apart the DT-770. I took out the driver and whatnot but unfortunately I couldn't find anything wrong.

Do you think it could be a rubbing voice coil? I don't really think so because the buzzing comes and goes but it's a possibility.

Any other ideas before I officially go to sent it back to Beyer?

Yeah not much you can do. If theres some loose debris inside the driver, pulling it apart and giving a good shake down should jostle it loose. If youve alrady tried that, it might be something more.

Garrett

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the most part people tend to correlate "fun" sounding with the presence of mid-bass..at least that is what I have found from having my non-audiophile friends listen to various phones. I think the SR225's or MS2's might do the trick. Go up and down the Grado line and in general you will find some head-bobbin' fun. If you can get your hands on Audio Technica A900LTD's (very Grado like sound sig) that will get your toes tapping too...that's what I have on my head right now! Good luck on your search!

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
...fun sounding... a really close soundstage to bring the vocals out with a bright but not sibilant high end with a powerful bottom end.

That sounds like a perfect description of Grado cans.
How do you come up with an accurate description of Grados when you don't have one?
It looks like to me you are in desparate NEED of a Grado, and SR225 would be a nice place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back