NEED:First pair of headphones
Sep 4, 2009 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

midoo1990

Headphoneus Supremus
ok,all i got till now was IEMs and my first pair was the senn.ie8 which i found excellent except for the veil and mid bass hump.i want a full size can because during long listining sessions with IEMs my ear hurts and become fatigued and blocked.what i am looking for in my purchase:
-easy to drive headphone because i am going to use it out of my zune player or any other player i purchase.(i dont want an amp because the ipod is the only player that have a line out and i HATE IT,so this aint an option)
-i dont care about portability,isolation,size,leakege, i will only use it at home.
-i dont care if it is closed or opened only something comfortable for long listining sessions(3-4 hours) and doesnt make pressure on the ear.
-big soundstage with strong punchy bass that can extend very low like low bass notes.
-ROLLED OFF TREBLE because i am sensitive to treble and prefer darker sound instead of bright.
-In your face kind of presentation for vocals,and can handle female vocals well like the ie8.
-Natural instruments presentation,because i find the ie8 veiled and that there is something thick coating the instruments especially guitar.they just dont sound natural.
-Retains details at low listining volumes.i listen most of the time at 4-5 out of 20 on my zune and sometimes lower.
-Non fatiguing can for long listining hours.
-i listen mostly to Trance,country,hip hop,rock ,metal and house.
-my budget is $350-400 NOT MORE THAN THAt.
i think i pretty much covered everything,any help will be appreciated.
P.S:NO SENNHEISER CAN SUGGESTION PLEASE,I AM OPENED TO ANYTHING ELSE.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 33
Check out threads regarding the AD900. I think they might be what you're looking for, and you can get them online for around $250. To somewhat summarize what I've read, they sound great out of any source without an amp, even a Zune or an iPod, and they are comfortable, so longer listening sessions shouldn't be a problem. They're also well-rounded with more forward vocals than the AD700, and with a comparable soundstage.

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 33
No,my budget is only for headphones no other equipment.I was thinking of getting an amp and plugging it through the headphone jack of the zune but this will be pointless right?mmmm,AD900, sounds interesting,ill check it now.I also considered the Denon D2000 any thoughts?

Sep 4, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 33
Denons D2000 are pretty easy to drive, my Sony A728 can drive them. The problem is that they terminate in a 1/4" i think. You'd have to rewire or have an adapter.

they're also nice and warm sounding.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 33
NM, delete.

Sep 5, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 33
I can get an amp for another 150 or200 bucks max but that all I can afford.on another note I checked AD900 appreciation thread but there are mixed reviews and some say that the highs are sparkly and soundstage is chaotic and they recquire some positioning for the driver to sit right...too mkuch trouble.

Sep 5, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #11 of 33
I don't want sennheiser because I read somewhere that the ie8 is like the little brother of HD600/650,and if that is right then both phones have a veil and recessee mids which I don't like.I want mids that are not agressive nor recessed,I want something in between.
I read about the D5000 but it is way above my budget,I was considering the D2000 but does it need an amp?I want a headphone that don't recquire an amp because I have no line out in my zune or other players I have.

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want sennheiser because I read somewhere that the ie8 is like the little brother of HD600/650,and if that is right then both phones have a veil and recessee mids which I don't like.I want mids that are not agressive nor recessed,I want something in between.
I read about the D5000 but it is way above my budget,I was considering the D2000 but does it need an amp?I want a headphone that don't recquire an amp because I have no line out in my zune or other players I have.

The IE8, from what I understand, represents sort of the typical dark Sennheiser sound, but very exaggerated. I.e., the bass hump is comparatively huge, and tends to drown out everything else.

I'm not sure you should judge Sennheiser's entire line of headphones by the IE8. They have some extremely well-balanced -- heck, even some bright phones! Not all Sennheisers are the same. Just like any other manufacturer, they vary from model to model. And it just so happens that you are basing your opinion of Sennheiser on one of their more polarizing models. Some people love them, but a lot of people also hate them for the same reasons you described earlier.

So, basically all I'm saying is, just try to keep an open mind.
wink.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 33
I am open minded,but I just read a lot of people saying that the ie8 compares favorably to HD6** with the exception of bass and soundstage and clarity.I love the senns dark sound sig but for me they don't work except for trance,house and metal.I just don't want to have the same sound sig. In full size can,and I read a lot reviews saying that they are picky for the equipment and need a powerful tube or amp.I know that there are a lot of gr8 cans out there but I think that there are also limited amount of high end cans that sound good without amplification but I have no experiance in cans and so I need your help and experiance to decide.I have no local shops in my country that sells high end cans,heck the best shop sells skullcandy and earpollution headphones for and unbelievably expensive amount!I will depend fully on your opinions and experiances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back