need earbud suggestions
Jan 19, 2005 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

justi

Head-Fier
I decided after a long while of debating and waiting for new things to come out (aka facing the fact that the chroma rumors are just that - rumors *cries*) I have decided on buying a rio karma as my portable player. Now I will need some good earbuds. I have heard good things about buds such as the er4p and I still haven't heard much about them really. I have a good amount of money to spend on them but I am the sort of guy that enjoys the sound quality he gets from his HD570s so I shouldn't be very hard to please. oh yeah, and recommendations are welcome for anything BUT the e5's. thanks in advance!

-justin

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 22
you answered your own question, ER4's.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 22
lol, I had a feeling that would happen!
rolleyes.gif

I heard that the er4's bass was lacking though in some reviews, is this true or just overexaggerated?

also what is the difference between the er4p's and er4s's?

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 22
ER4P's are easier to drive then the 4s, if you plan and getting an amp get the 4p's because you can get the p/s adaptor and essentially have both versions...... the er4s's are harder to drive thus the need for an amp... 4p's will sound good directly out of a portable player that doesn't have the strongest of headphone jacks i.e. iPod or karma

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 22
I don't really wanna have to carry around an amp unless theres one thats really easy to carry around with me.

So far it looks like the ER4P's are getting all of the attention.
cool.gif

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 22
If that player has a user adjustable EQ you might want to consider e2cs. They are recessed above ~5Khz, so depending on your preferences may require some EQ adjustments. They shine with the EX71 tip mod. My player has EQ sliders at 4K and 16K, that work very well with the e2c.

**edit** IMHO they are the under $70 winner since they isolate a lot better thn the sony or sharp.
Garrett

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 22
I think it has an adjustable EQ but most likely I'd get really frustrated getting it right (just my personality
rolleyes.gif
). However it might be really easy, I don't exactly know.

Also my music preference is mostly metal, instrumental experimental stuff, techno, trance, etc. incase that will help with suggestions.

Jan 19, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by justi
I think it has an adjustable EQ but most likely I'd get really frustrated getting it right (just my personality
rolleyes.gif
). However it might be really easy, I don't exactly know.

Also my music preference is mostly metal, instrumental experimental stuff, techno, trance, etc. incase that will help with suggestions.

the ER4P may not have the "bass" you want if you like heavy bass from your phones when you listen to techno and trance music. what i would suggest is get the ER4 and try them out. if they're not what you're looking for, try something different.

Jan 20, 2005 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 22
thats sounds like a good plan to me
biggrin.gif

where would you suggest buying the buds from so I can return them and such if I don't like them along with being a place that has them at a good price?

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 22
Get the ER4P's. The clarity is amazing. The bass is fine. Not overstated, but crisp and definitely there. They soung great right out of my iPod, even better using the line out and an amp!

I will eventually buy the 4P to 4S cable to increase my options. Give them a try!
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #11 of 22
I think guitar center might have e2c. Not sure about the return policy though. They are packed in a plastic carton thats melted together. You practically have to destroy the original packaging to get them out. Might want to inquire in detail about the GC return policy.

One more thing to consider, e2c are 16 ohms and very sensitive. Make sure your player, amp, receiver can cleanly power them at that impedence. Any noise or background hiss will be picked up by the e2c. I got lucky my denon receiver and creative Muvo can handle it. My audio technica HA2 however cant.

Garrett

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 22
todd's seems really expensive to me, it looks like everywhere else they sell for 250$ or so. is the service really worth the extra money?

Jan 20, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by justi
wow nevermind its EXTREMELY cheap

a couple of head-fi sponsors, including iDealSound/www.discountheadphones.com has them for $199. i just bought them from discountheadphones.com at that price plus a modest shipping fee for USPS priority shipping. i have dealt with iDealSound before, when i got my ER6i, and i found the service to be very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back